Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
sartor
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
HELP rear hatch latch bolts

I had to crawl into the back of my Yaris to get the rear hatch open because the pushbutton wasn't working. I noticed that the latch hook was loose. One of the bolts was spinning and the nut was lying on the inside of the sheetmetal underneath the latch hook. I removed the other nut/bolt and can't seem to figure out how to get the nut in place so I can replace the hook and get them all bolted down. HOW DO I DO THIS?? Perplexing.

Any ideas?

SOLUTION - (I'm posting a few new photos in the body of the original message because I couldn't figure out how to add images in a response to my original post)

After staring at the problem for a while I figured out a way to maneuver the nuts into place underneath the holes. There are no access holes out of view in any of the photos, only the slots in the sheet metal on the sides of the holes. So what I did was I took a 12"-or-so section of brass sheet, scribed a line in the brass the same shape as the nuts and used a jeweler's saw to cut out the holes. Then I placed the nuts into these cut-outs and maneuvered the nut under the bolt hole. Used a little loctite and drove those bolts home! The second nut was trickier because the brass sheet wanted to bump up against the first nut/bolt that I set, so I trimmed the end off of the brass so that wouldn't happen. SUCCESS!
Attached Images

Last edited by sartor; 04-10-2020 at 10:50 PM. Reason: more images and a solution
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote