Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
mckulley1

Drives: Yaris
Exclamation Toyota Yaris Crash

If you are thinking of purchasing a Toyota, please watch this video.

2010 Toyota Yaris Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D80aC8g9mI
mckulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Andrew should drive a little more carefully.
I really like the 2010 LB in Red, that will be my next purchase.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
mckulley1

Andrew was not faulted in this accident.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
We have seen a lot of pictures like this over the past couple of years. The good news is that in each case the person has survived (which says a great deal about this little car). You didn't say what he hit head-on, but obviously is was something large enough to do significant damage.

I have only seen a couple where there was concern about the airbag not deploying. As for that, the sensors require a specific threshold to trigger, and considering where and how they are mounted, I can understand there being cases where significant damage occurs, without the airbags deploying.

As for your mention of Toyota's response to your inquiry: Any admission of questionable function would be a liability, so that is probably the reason for the pompous response. Did you file a report with the NHTSA (www.safecar.gov), as they would be the appropriate body to conduct an unbiased evaluation?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
We have seen a lot of pictures like this over the past couple of years. The good news is that in each case the person has survived (which says a great deal about this little car). You didn't say what he hit head-on, but obviously is was something large enough to do significant damage.

I have only seen a couple where there was concern about the airbag not deploying. As for that, the sensors require a specific threshold to trigger, and considering where and how they are mounted, I can understand there being cases where significant damage occurs, without the airbags deploying.
+1, i couldnt have said it better.

air bags in some situations are better, in others they are worse. in early days of air bags many were killed due to lack of technology and they would always simply delpy under almost any impact. now they are so percise and will only deploy under certain conditions. the injuries andew suffered would not have been prevented/made worse by an airbag deployment.

if it was said the seat belt didnt lock or andrew flew out of the window and it WAS PROVEN he had his seatbelt on, then i could understand an official complaint but what info was given i dont see it as an issue.

my dad owned a stock pathfinder and one night a car made a left infront of him and he litterally ran the car over. the truck was a total loss, no air bags went off and my dad walked away (after the truck continued to hit 2 more cars)as for the accord that got ran over, air bags went off in accord and driver was seriously injured (accord was only doing about 20km/h and my dad was doing about 90km/h) accord was held at fault and my dad was thankful the airbags didnt deploy.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
mckulley1

Yes, we reported it to the NHTSA.

The cracked ribs and compression fracture certainly could have been prevented or reduced with an air bag.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckulley1 View Post
Yes, we reported it to the NHTSA.

The cracked ribs and compression fracture certainly could have been prevented or reduced with an air bag.
That said, air bags have been shown to do their own damage, although less so to men.

Thank God he was wearing his seat belt. He would've landed into the following Tuesday if he wasn't. The cracked ribs are clearly the result of the seat belt force, but I'm not convinced that the airbag may have prevented that. Most of the seat belt pressure would still be there. At most, it provides just a bit more cushion to the chest. It mainly helps the head from snapping forward violently.

In any event, this particular crash should have resulted in deployment. Clearly, the entire front end collapsed and should have triggered the sensor.
Maybe there's the possibility of the sensor be crumpled in such a way that it gets disabled. Yes, ironic, but conceivable.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Not surprized . We're having a hard time getting TOYOTA to cooperate with us . See our posts in the D.I.Y. section referring to our matter . Those who have had their air bags not deploy may want to contact CONSUMER REPORTS ( http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/p/...omobiles_suvs/ , will find other organiztions to contact ) , http://www.consumersunion.org/about/...ld_l_mays.html , or the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION ( www.nhtsa.gov/ ) to get TOYOTA to step up to the plate . Hope he is doing well . TAKE CARE .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
yaris2010RS

not surprised hershey came into this..... lol, no hate
Old 11-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
not surprised hershey came into this..... lol, no hate
. . Whatever . .
Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Hershey

Try to have some more compassion and understanding to this matter . . The airbags should of deployed . There was another post regarding to this , www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31530 . We have a 2010 which the other 1/2 drives to work . Would be good to know that the airbags would deploy when some pinhead pulls out in front of the vehicle or passes someone on a double line on a blind corner , etc.. Happens quite often . Guess they don't see the YARIS as a threat .
Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
krusty

Drives: 2010 Yaris ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Try to have some more compassion and understanding to this matter . . The airbags should of deployed . There was another post regarding to this , www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31530 . We have a 2010 which the other 1/2 drives to work . Would be good to know that the airbags would deploy when some pinhead pulls out in front of the vehicle or passes someone on a double line on a blind corner , etc.. Happens quite often . Guess they don't see the YARIS as a threat .
Really? So Hershey you are an expert in crash safety devises? You know all the exact particulars of the crash to determine that the air bags should have deployed?
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
Really? So Hershey you are an expert in crash safety devises? You know all the exact particulars of the crash to determine that the air bags should have deployed?
Never said was an expert . Quit assuming .
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
freedame
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris'
Personally I think the Yaris held up exceptionally well especially with no airbags deploying, if that's even true. Notice how well the crumple zones protected the passenger cabin. This video has really helped to increase my confidence in the Yaris. I've seen larger cars get hit head on and the passanger cab was totally demolished. Way to go Toyota.

Too bad about Andrew, but he lived and that's amazing workmanship from Toyota in my opinion.
freedame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
yaris2010RS

LMFAO!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 AM   #16
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
This gets torn apart online. The lawyers are gonna have a field day with it!

The sad part is if they try to take it to court, they will probably get a settlement. Man, if only they were more evil, they'd suit the living snot out of 'em and get every penny they've got. My guess is that these people probably could barely afford the payments, and were behind on their bills, and saw big fields of green after the accident. But that's speculation

I don't know if they were at fault or not, but I believe in a zero tolerance policy for accidents. If you get into 1 (maybe 2) serious wreck(s), you should have your license taken away for the rest of your life (before you take someone else's). . . 20% of the drivers out there are causing 80% of the wrecks.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by djct_watt View Post
The sad part is if they try to take it to court, they will probably get a settlement. Man, if only they were more evil, they'd suit the living snot out of 'em and get every penny they've got. My guess is that these people probably could barely afford the payments, and were behind on their bills, and saw big fields of green after the accident. But that's speculation
Yeah, like the guy in the runaway Prius on the freeway near San Diego, over $700,000+ in debt.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #18
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Well, in your case the entire SRS system won't be functioning. It could be any number of things. Including the passenger occupancy detector.
Passenger occupancy detector works I think, the passenger air bag turns on when someone sits there. I think it may only be my air bag, I dont have side curtain air bags so theres only the two main front ones. And I almost was in an accident today because of wet roads, I was lucky I didn't panic and swerved to the side.

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bag, crash, toyota, yaris