Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
zbouncer

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5MT
Question STS Rear-mount Turbo

Did a couple of searches for a rear-mount turbo on a Yaris and so far it looks as if it has never been done before, nobody thought it was interesting or nobody thought of it

Here is the link http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems

Lets discuss some pros and cons
zbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Looks like this application is for larger cars and trucks, looking at the website.

I think it's more piping (= more lag on our cars), custom set up (just as much or more work than a front mount), can't think of any pros except "cool factor".
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
zbouncer

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5MT
Yeah they get great results on LSX cars/trucks...just thought I would throw it out there...it didnt really say the size of pipping it comes with. I know this system is made to bolt up to stock f-body pipping (which cant be more than 2" from the factory), and the exhaust gases and intake air wouldn't have to travel as far on a Yaris LB as opposed to those other boats?
And yeah they sound freakn sweet back there ;)
zbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
advocate

Drives: car
if you want to be unique you should buy the new microimage hood and do a top-mount intercooler
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
if you want to be unique you should buy the new microimage hood and do a top-mount intercooler
+1

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
I have seen a rear-mount turbo on an integra before and Super Sport has a Lexus IS-F with dual rear turbos in it this month.

I think that its a cool idea that you see pop up every now and then (never seen the idea mentioned on YW before though). Do it.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
buddy in jersey had one on his camaro. it wasnt too bad, and lag wasnt any more noticeable than a normal turbo setup. it's a good idea, removing heat and space taking stuff from the engine bay and moving it to the back of the car...bmw and mercedes have been doing this for years with batteries, why not turbos? the piping acts as an intercooler (although not a good one) and you can use any size turbo/piping you want (depending on spacing available). the real problem i see is that it's on the rear of the car, unprotected from all the thieves out there. it's so far back, and just under the bumper...very easy access specially if you back into parking spots.

other than that, go for it. you wont need a muffler, and all you'd rally need is a metal intake plenum or manifold.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
lol. cool factor is about it. more tubing=more money. and im sure heat loss will degrade the maximum efficiency of the turbo...unless you will be using some kind of thermal barrier. plus the intake side would most likely become an interheater rather than an intercooler.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
STS has been doing it for years....with great success. They did their homework and made it work. Surely they might be able to make some suggestions for a smaller displacement engine. Just call and ask ;)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

ok, pros and cons have been discussed.

zbouncer, you going to do it?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
severous01

if i had the money i'd do it....

money and a metal intake manifold!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
Pur_Blu

Drives: NCVC craziest
Send a message via AIM to Pur_Blu Send a message via Yahoo to Pur_Blu
interesting... i've seen this company years ago. its geared more for american cars/drag cars but there are a few clips around youtube of some imports fitted with STS. It doesn't seem like it comes with any computer controlled ecu or piggyback unit nor did they offer bigger injectors and all the little things people tend to overlook with power adders. Im guessing they are banking on the customer knowing this and supplying parts themselves. Or using that electric boost controller and low boost to save the motor.
Pur_Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
severous01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pur_Blu View Post
interesting... i've seen this company years ago. its geared more for american cars/drag cars but there are a few clips around youtube of some imports fitted with STS. It doesn't seem like it comes with any computer controlled ecu or piggyback unit nor did they offer bigger injectors and all the little things people tend to overlook with power adders. Im guessing they are banking on the customer knowing this and supplying parts themselves. Or using that electric boost controller and low boost to save the motor.
the universal kits dont come with anything but a turbo setup. which is good for someone who knows what they need and can get it...but bad for someone just wanting to throw it on n be done w it.

the specific kits come with injectors, programming options, setup options, turbo options, all sorts of options. even dual stage electronic wastegates. my friend's camaro has the dual stage w/g. he runs 13 on street and about 20 on the track with track gas.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

where's the OP
Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdY2_lmeTX0

Here you go rear mount turbo festiva
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Rear mounted turbos dont work, see the vid below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlz5L...eature=related

8.87 @ 155, that thing is sooo slow (Im being sarcastic)

Funny how new ideas get shot down by people with no experience using them. I wonder if Thomas Edison would have listen to the neigh sayers what we would be using to light up the night...
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ why did you design a front mount turbo for your car?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ why did you design a front mount turbo for your car?
1 Cost

2 I have not been able to find the oil pump system that STS uses

3 I live in Miami, when it rains is floods here
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote