Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
daikin22

Drives: YARIS
Recommendation for Shocks?

This is my first post. Well, I would like you guy to recommend shock for me. Now, I'm using H&R spring and I would like to get new shock that give me a smooth drive. In my mind, I just look for Tein, Tanabe, and TRD. Which one would you recommend?

Thank you.
daikin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Tokiko
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
Tokico will stiffen it up a bit. For smoothness KYB should suffice.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Tokico and KYB both are the manufacturers of the TRD Sportivo shocks. My TRD's are made by KYB. They are good, but non-adjustable. I got some Tokico "Blues" for my dad's Camry, and the ride got mildly stiffer (again, Tokico Blues are probably the same ones as the TRD's).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Tokico and KYB both are the manufacturers of the TRD Sportivo shocks. My TRD's are made by KYB. They are good, but non-adjustable. I got some Tokico "Blues" for my dad's Camry, and the ride got mildly stiffer (again, Tokico Blues are probably the same ones as the TRD's).
Thank for Reply

Do you which model is same spac as TRD shocks (for yaris).

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikin22 View Post
Thank for Reply

Do you which model is same spac as TRD shocks (for yaris).

Thank you.
Sorry, I actually do not know which KYB model has the same specs as the TRD's. But I would assume the GR-2's.

On that note, I had GR-2's on my GTI with some Megan lowering springs. It was a pretty smooth ride. Not as stiff as my Yaris' ride (probably due to the S.Techs).
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
daikin22

Quote:
Sorry, I actually do not know which KYB model has the same specs as the TRD's. But I would assume the GR-2's.

On that note, I had GR-2's on my GTI with some Megan lowering springs. It was a pretty smooth ride. Not as stiff as my Yaris' ride (probably due to the S.Techs).
I just saw from another your post. Are you using Tein spring w/ Tanabe shocks, aren't you? Well, I would like to ask you about Tanabe shocks which is good or not.

Thank you

Well, your tanabe shocks is adjustable shocks, isn't it? and is it "Tanabe Sustec Pro" right?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I just saw from another your post. Are you using Tein spring w/ Tanabe shocks, aren't you? Well, I would like to ask you about Tanabe shocks which is good or not.

Thank you

Well, your tanabe shocks is adjustable shocks, isn't it? and is it "Tanabe Sustec Pro" right?
I believe you misread that. I have the Tein S.Tech springs with the TRD Sportivo shocks with a Tanabe Sustec strut bar. I like this set up a lot. Steering is more responsive, and body roll is pretty much reduced. However, since I do not have a rear sway bar, and if I push it hard onto an onramp, I can feel the car understeer. Therefore, I would recommend going with a rear sway bar first before a front strut bar.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
daikin22

Here is my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3055.jpg (113.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 12-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
daikin22

more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3035.jpg (323.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3051_resize.JPG (93.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:

KYB GR-2 shocks will have the same body as TRD's however the "valving spec" will differ as the GR-2's are an OEM replacement (smooth ride) while the TRD version have much firmer valve spec's and provide a performance ride.
If you want a ride similar to stock damping go with GR-2. The TRD shocks will rattle your fillings loose in comparison. Much firmer with resultant incredable handling when teamed with TRD springs and swaybar.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
KYB GR-2 shocks will have the same body as TRD's however the "valving spec" will differ as the GR-2's are an OEM replacement (smooth ride) while the TRD version have much firmer valve spec's and provide a performance ride.
If you want a ride similar to stock damping go with GR-2. The TRD shocks will rattle your fillings loose in comparison. Much firmer with resultant incredable handling when teamed with TRD springs and swaybar.

Thank for reply

Well, blacksandiegovitz said that GR-2 will blow out if I put it with lower spring. GR-2 can use with lower spring?

Thank you
Old 12-21-2008, 03:35 AM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
They don't feel that much more dampened (enough to rattle things off of the dash or anything, unlike my friend's Toaster).
Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
KYB do manufacture the TRD shocks (mine at least) but the difference is the damping rates.
The TRD shocks produce excellent handling but at the sacrifice of ride comfort. If you want a "smooth" ride find a shock with much less damping than the TRD's. The KYB GR-2 shocks may be your answer. They are an OEM replacement shock with slightly greater damping than the stock units. I've enjoyed them in my previous ride (Eibach lowered Talon) and the ride comfort was maintained while still controlling the stiffer lowering springs adequately.

Good Luck!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
daikin22

Quote:
KYB do manufacture the TRD shocks (mine at least) but the difference is the damping rates.
The TRD shocks produce excellent handling but at the sacrifice of ride comfort. If you want a "smooth" ride find a shock with much less damping than the TRD's. The KYB GR-2 shocks may be your answer. They are an OEM replacement shock with slightly greater damping than the stock units. I've enjoyed them in my previous ride (Eibach lowered Talon) and the ride comfort was maintained while still controlling the stiffer lowering springs adequately.

Good Luck!
Thank for Reply

KYB GR-2 is suitable for Yaris right?

Thank you.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 AM   #16
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Thank for Reply

KYB GR-2 is suitable for Yaris right?

Thank you.
Gr-2 's are only a good "upgrade" if you blow your stock struts/shocks out . Imo stock shocks are better . If you need to go with gr-2 don't pair them up with any spring lower than like tanabe nf210's or they'll blow-out in about 2 months . Bare mininum go with a set of blue's or save a get some megan or basic tein coilovers , only about 250 more than the 500 a set of blue's/tein s tech's or tanabe springs will cost you .
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #17
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
Gr-2 's are only a good "upgrade" if you blow your stock struts/shocks out . Imo stock shocks are better . If you need to go with gr-2 don't pair them up with any spring lower than like tanabe nf210's or they'll blow-out in about 2 months . Bare mininum go with a set of blue's or save a get some megan or basic tein coilovers , only about 250 more than the 500 a set of blue's/tein s tech's or tanabe springs will cost you .

Thanks for reply.

Well, what about Tokiko shocks? It's can be match with lower spring, right?

Thank you
Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Thanks for reply.

Well, what about Tokiko shocks? It's can be match with lower spring, right?

Thank you
Yeah Tokico blues are the best for the price . I 've ran blues on 3 differnt car's i've owned all with at least -2 lowerd springs and never blew a strut out . Good performance strut and pretty "firm" feeling over stock.
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote