Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Yaris Plural is...
Yarii 38 73.08%
Yarises 10 19.23%
Yaris' 2 3.85%
Something Else (Please post) 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy
 
DJ_SpaRky's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Groveland, FL (Near Orlando)
Posts: 285
Yaris Plural

OK, I'm seeing different things so I would like to take a vote to see what we should use (well at least for this site for now)

Is Yaris plural Yarii or Yarises or something else (please post)?
__________________
Code:
DiabolicJourney_SpaRky
DJ_SpaRky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Yarisususussss
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
as400g33k
 
as400g33k's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 249
maybe we should ask toyota on that one...
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
as400g33k
 
as400g33k's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 249
... or at least our european counterparts as they've had the Yaris brand since 1999.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Just voted for "Yarises". Sounds less academic to me.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Yes, we don't want to sound like academic snobs.

Oh, and Yarii reminds me of this song.

I don't like that song. Here is a better version:

You are my fire
The one desire
Believe when I say
I want a Yaray

But we are a continent apart
Oh I Can't reach the start
When you say
You have no Yaray

[Chorus:]
Tell you why
Ain't nothin' but a heartache
Tell you why
Ain't nothin' but a mistake
Tell you why
I never wanna hear you say
I have no Yaray.

Am I your driver
Your one pied piper
Yes I can only say
I want a Yaray.

[Chorus]

Now I can see that your nowhere in sight
Now why oh why do I have to fight
with this idiot dude without sight
I want him to know
That even far across the sea...

You are my fire
My one desire
You are
You are, you are, you are

Don't wanna have to say
Ain't nothin' but a heartache
Ain't nothin' but a mistake
(Don't wanna hear you say)
I never wanna hear you say
I have no Yaray.

Tell you why
Ain't nothin' but a heartache
Tell you why
Ain't nothin but a mistake
Tell you why
I never wanna hear you say
(Don't wanna hear you say it)
I have no Yaray
I have no Yaray.

Last edited by why?; 04-06-2006 at 10:11 AM.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Thanks jdgriswald. You are the "serious type" and I like it.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
AAAARRRRRR.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
harves
Ozecho.com Owner
 
harves's Avatar
 
Drives: Toyota Echo 2003
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 11
Send a message via AIM to harves Send a message via MSN to harves Send a message via Yahoo to harves
I think it should be Yarii
__________________
Harves - Ozecho.com Owner and Administrator
Ozecho.com Australia's Online Echo and Yaris Community
harves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
Freedom
 
Drives: Toyota Yaris II Terra 1.3 5Dr
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hungary
Posts: 4
If Yaris would be a Greek word, than the plural would be Yares, although I think it has nothing to do with Greek.
But to improve your linguistic knowledge, I tell you that the Hungarian plural of Yaris is Yarisok.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy
 
jdgriswald's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 Scion xD
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
If Yaris would be a Greek word, than the plural would be Yares, although I think it has nothing to do with Greek.
But to improve your linguistic knowledge, I tell you that the Hungarian plural of Yaris is Yarisok.
If the following is true, then Yarii would indeed be correct.

From the Saint Louis Post Dispatch 12/28/05
ATLANTA — During a question-and-answer session at a media event here introducing the all-new subcompact Toyota Yaris, a question came up regarding the meaning of the name.
“It’s a minor Greek god,” answered Ernest Bastien, vice president of vehicle operations. “. . . The god of health, I think.”
To which Dick Kelley, a Toyota PR guy, quickly added: “It’s the entry-level god.”
Yaris is entry-level, for sure. But, in the wake of the disappointing sales of the outgoing Toyota Echo subcompact — a rare state-side failure for Toyota — the company isn’t relying on divine intervention for Yaris’s success. This new subcompact has been designed to avoid Echo’s mistakes, Bastien said. ....
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
TRDMarty
 
Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Corona CA
Posts: 403
Arrow

I'd go with the GAY Greek God way of saying it = Yarith

& no I'm not gay. Atleast my wife says I'm not.

Go ahead, say it, YARITH Like with a lisp

It sounds singular but also sounds plural. The best of both worlds.

So the next time you're driving and see ONE, just go ahead and say it = YARITH
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy
 
DJ_SpaRky's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Groveland, FL (Near Orlando)
Posts: 285
Maybe Yaris is already plural??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yari
__________________
Code:
DiabolicJourney_SpaRky
DJ_SpaRky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy
 
DJ_SpaRky's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Groveland, FL (Near Orlando)
Posts: 285
well then. I like mine better LOL
__________________
Code:
DiabolicJourney_SpaRky
DJ_SpaRky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #15
YarisBueller
Administrator
 
YarisBueller's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 178
funny ass thread, i'm going with Yarii just because its technically correct, but just doesn't sound right at the same time.. the perfect choice!
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!
 
Yaris Revenge's Avatar
 
Drives: Lagann. ;P
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: My own little world.
Posts: 717
I like to call 'em Yarisces (Yaris-seez). You know, like breastusces (breastus-seez).

~YR
__________________
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Yaris Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Haha, Yarii is correct because it's the popular usage. WIN!
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!
 
Rain's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Haha, Yarii is correct because it's the popular usage. WIN!
because Garm said so
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 7 09-20-2023 07:50 AM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
Toyota unveils 2007 Yaris T-Sport Concept VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 63 01-21-2007 03:12 PM
is the yaris for me? sauruman New YARIS Purchase Forum 14 02-27-2006 08:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.