Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
jstantherprsn
 
Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 71
Oil filter and oil

Hey everyone,

I went to change my oil today and I'm going to be using 5w-40W full synthetic. I used synthetic on my other cars, for years now and won't go back. I realized i needed an oil filter cap so I had to stop my attempt today after I made some wood blocks. Does anyone know of an over sized filter that will work. I plan on replacing it with an m1-103 by mobil 1. I like there filters and I've seen the cut away pics of the filters and am happy with what I see. I saw somewhere that that m1-209 might be a suitable replacement. I read somewhere that its just longer then the original. Anyone try the 209 filter or know of something else?
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
bankrobber
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 254
Not sure what you mean by an "oil filter cap" 5w-40w seems a bit thick. Especially with winter. 5w-30w should do. Being synthetic I believe you can go a little thinner then dyno oil. I like the M1-103 filter also. Just hate spending 12 bucks for it. Amsoil also makes filters that should be close in cost to the Mobil filters although I never priced one.
Napa Gold are excellent filters also.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
auxmike
 
auxmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LI, New Yawk
Posts: 2,063
Why 5W-40? Won't that strain the engine more during the frigid PA winter?
I use the good ol' Toyota OEM filters for 30K now and no probs...
__________________

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ME
Posts: 498
The factory drain plug on my 09 was non magnetic.

If you have a turbo diesel and have the 5W-40 anyway and just want to use one oil for both I'd go for it. The Yaris uses 15W-40 in other parts of the world and the cold properties of the 5W-40 are much better. Besides losing a few 10ths of a mile per gallon your Yaris won't mind a bit.

The cap wrench you need for the oil filter is a 65 mm, 14 flute. Definitely want to go with a cap style IMO.

I'm a little gunshy on oversize oil filters unless I can get exact specs for bypass settings, flow rates etc. Some filters will physically fit but be lacking or improper in other ways. If all the specs are appropriate it should be ok but I would evaluate risk vs gain.

As for jacking the car up I've found that the plug and filter are such an easy reach I have an easier time leaving the car on level ground and reaching under. When I do want to get underneath I use ramps-easier and safer IMO.

Hope you enjoy your Yaris-they are very user friendly little units in my experience so far.

R2
__________________
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ME
Posts: 498
One thing I didn't specify above in regards to the 5W-40; I'd prefer a low SAPS variant that meets CJ-4.
__________________
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
jstantherprsn
 
Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philly
Posts: 71
Yea i went to the store prior to checking the board and found the 65mm does fit the mobil m1-103 filter just fine, just press it on and it wont slip.

As for the over size filter my experience is that it improves the flow and get more crude out. People say that if you go with a high flow filter that you need a better filter because more dirty/grim enters at the expense of better flow. Maybe the next filter i'll try is that 209 and I'll update the thread. Since I acquired the car and switching to synthetic I'll be changing the filter in a month or so.

Yea separately there is a turbo diesel (non yaris) so I had 3 bottles extra of 5w-40 laying around. I figured on using 1 or 2 bottles of the 5w-40w with my rislone and a bottle of 5w-20 I picked up.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
If you want to use an oversized filter, get one for a Corolla/Matrix with either the 1ZZ or 2ZZ engine. It's the same filter only about an inch longer. My parents have a Matrix with the 2ZZ and we get our filters by the case from Toyota so that's how I know. We used to get 2 different cases until I noticed the filter is the same only longer. I've been using the larger filters for roughly 70-80K km.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zage Turbo Kit Install - Toyota Yaris Focus_Sh1ft Forced Induction Forum 160 02-06-2022 08:14 PM
Yaris Oil Change DIY rningonfumes DIY / Maintenance / Service 91 01-11-2019 07:18 PM
A Mystery Oi'll Say! Yar Is Word Fuel Economy Forum 16 05-11-2013 04:22 AM
Synth Blend Oils scape DIY / Maintenance / Service 7 07-12-2009 01:55 PM
Nippon Oil Filter IllusionX DIY / Maintenance / Service 6 12-07-2008 02:00 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:19 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.