Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
Fit vs Yaris

In the process [hopefully} of saleing or trading my 2011 3 dr LB 5 speed for a automatic because of a knee problem. I have real pain issues after driving a 5 speed in traffic for a while.
Been reading about how great the Honda fit is, and it really is a nice looking good driving car but not as quite or comfortable as my Yaris and the low speed throttle response was hard for me to get use too. {real easy to over gas it}
I was really surprised was expecting it to be a much better feeling and responding and quieter car than my yaris but it was not. my yaris was much quieter and smoother and overall just felt tighter than the fit. guess the yaris is a better car than I thought. Just my opinion. Guess I will find a yaris with an automatic!
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
JayPrimo

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5mt
I disagree.....My sister has had her Fit since it first came out, and after putting about 2000 miles on my first Yaris, I have to say that the Fit feels more like a solid car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Yaris and am happy with it, but it certainly feels and drives alot smaller than my sister's Fit, IMO

Maybe the 2013 Yaris feels more solid, I do not know personally, have yet to drive one myself
JayPrimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Everyone has an opinion, but I think the Fit is more of a mini-minivan and the Yaris a car.

We have a Honda Odyssey and it's a great vehicle, but fundamentally it's a family car whereas my Yaris is a compact hatchback.

I'll take my Yaris over a Fit any day of the week.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I almost broke my knee on the dashboard cupholder in the Fit. -_-
It felt big, bulky, and not particularly limber to me.
I like the feel of the Yaris with it's small but very eager engine.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Livo

Drives: 2010 White, 3-dr, HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3 View Post
In the process [hopefully} of saleing or trading my 2011 3 dr LB 5 speed for a automatic because of a knee problem. I have real pain issues after driving a 5 speed in traffic for a while.
Been reading about how great the Honda fit is, and it really is a nice looking good driving car but not as quite or comfortable as my Yaris and the low speed throttle response was hard for me to get use too. {real easy to over gas it}
I was really surprised was expecting it to be a much better feeling and responding and quieter car than my yaris but it was not. my yaris was much quieter and smoother and overall just felt tighter than the fit. guess the yaris is a better car than I thought. Just my opinion. Guess I will find a yaris with an automatic!
Consumer Reports valued the Fit over the 2010 Yaris when I made my decision. The Yaris feels and looks like a car company used the big car parts to make a smaller car. It feels more lasting and is more solid. I picked the Yaris because I wanted a two-door coupe and not a four-door. I'm glad I went Yaris.
Livo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
ron3

I am really a Honda guy and also own a new civic, and have owned other Hondas great cars. I drive a 2011 5speed yaris LB also or at least I did until this thing with my knee.
I think the Fit while being a nice car just does not measure up to the quality of the yaris. Regarding Consumer Reports I am 66 years old and have to much grey in my beard to believe those guys. IMO.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo View Post
Consumer Reports valued the Fit over the 2010 Yaris when I made my decision. The Yaris feels and looks like a car company used the big car parts to make a smaller car. It feels more lasting and is more solid. I picked the Yaris because I wanted a two-door coupe and not a four-door. I'm glad I went Yaris.
No disrespect, but anyone that actually uses Consumer Reports to judge their purchasing decision on any product needs to have their head checked. I say this because especially in today's age of the internet anyone can see how often CR's reports are debunked. They get their pockets lined to report the ratings they do plain and simple.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
No disrespect, but anyone that actually uses Consumer Reports to judge their purchasing decision on any product needs to have their head checked. I say this because especially in today's age of the internet anyone can see how often CR's reports are debunked. They get their pockets lined to report the ratings they do plain and simple.
Agreed. Even most motoring journalists don't give objective reviews because they only drive the car for a short period and numerous other vehicles which bias their opinions greatly.

When researching the Yaris, I found actual owner reviews which were very positive.

If you really want to know what a car is like, listen to people who actually own and drive them on a daily basis!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
They rated the Ford Fiesta as a top pick but if you test drive it you'll think it's due to fall apart on you any minute.
They also recommend the Mazda 2 because it's "Perky", I laugh at that because my Yaris would beat it up any time, any where.
I always tell people that the only way you can truly know a car, Is by driving it yourself.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
They rated the Ford Fiesta as a top pick but if you test drive it you'll think it's due to fall apart on you any minute.
^^^^^ You have good car sense. I hope consumers who test drive the Yaris made in Mexico in 2017 and beyond don't justifiably have that same feeling.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
They also recommend the Mazda 2 because it's "Perky", I laugh at that because my Yaris would beat it up any time, any where.
I always tell people that the only way you can truly know a car, Is by driving it yourself.
i know the mazda 2 gets lots of praise from the automotive press, but i just can't get past the looks. something doesn't seem right about it...looks like they took our hatch and 'smooshed and stretched' it!

i'm STILL in my pursuit of a second car and i've looked at a lot of first-gen fits. i personally like the styling even though it's described frequently here as 'mini-minivan'. after test-driving one i can say it's very nimble and i like the interior also. the yaris has ruined me, however. I ACTUALLY MISS HAVING A CENTER INSTRUMENT CLUSTER(i find myself constantly glancing to that place during test drives)!

i guess there's no 'perfect' car. even though we have issues with water pumps on early models of our yaris, the fit has issues with coil packs on early versions of theirs. this is such a good community here i may just wait until i can snag an echo/yaris and be done with it!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
ron3

Both yaris and fit have proven themselves as reliable cars

Guess it is just a matter of what your looking for. Its hard to beat a yaris for durability reliability and gas mileage. The fit shines with utility, and resale value and reliability. Really hard to go wrong with either car.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I replied to this post when you posted it, but forgot about it after that. So this is the case even when the Fiesta is new (You didn't mention the ST, so I assume it was another 'trim level'). About 14 months after you wrote this post I had a Fiesta rental in Florida with only 35k miles on it, and had the same 'due to fall apart on you any minute' impression.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Our '11 Fit and '08 Yaris get along quite well . So , why can't we ? It was at 1st sight for the YARIS .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
JayPrimo

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 5mt
I think your best bet would be to take both on a nice test drive. You're going to get a lot of yaris biased opinions here, and I myself have a Honda bias.

It's all about what you like more, you know what I mean....

PS.....I hate the Fit "minivan" comment......Reminds of of calling cars like Miatas and RSX-S "girls cars"
JayPrimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
ron3

Smile fit is a exe car, but I expected more

Since the fit gets such great reviews and they are so over priced in my area guess I just expected more.
I don't mean this in a bad way but the fit is somewhat van like and that's not a bad thing. just my 2 cents
Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #17
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Drove a '11 Mazda 2 Sport w/ a 5 speed manual and the clutch was the easiest ever encountered in 37 years of driving . The shifting was smooth as silk . Would get one in a split second if money dropped out of the sky into my lap .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #18
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Take a closer at Mazda 2 or kia rio.

The Yaris's best asset is probably reliability and mileage. But that's it. I can vouch for dat.

But in terms of fun and ride enjoyment : Mazda's zoom-zoom-zoom and the Rio's comfort is probably up there as well.

Fit is better car in terms of the space and just a better car overall for you If you have a familia.

I think the Yari has been over taken by the competition. Like I said, if the 2 and all these new rides were around in 2007 i would have taken them in a heart beat over the Yari.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote