Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #685
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons
 
Racer X-8's Avatar
 
Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: warmed-up, SC
Posts: 92
The telltale tale of one Yaris... bought on 4-18-06 and now at 10,485 miles. I just filled her up tonight...
Attached Images
 
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #686
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH
 
Jem_hadar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Collingwood, ON
Posts: 632
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
US gallons I assume? Or imperial!

I really drives me nuts about how both systems use "gallons" but they're different measures!

Ugh.. just annoying trying ot figure out which one often ppl are referring too!
__________________
2007 Yaris Hatchback 5 Door LE, Manual, Package B, Bayou Blue Metallic
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #687
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons
 
Racer X-8's Avatar
 
Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: warmed-up, SC
Posts: 92
I'm in SC - that's South Carolina. I realize my "location" maybe obscures that little tidbit of information to where ppl aren't sure what the SC means - so sorry. US gallons. Now, go get some sleep. :p
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #688
nsmitchell
 
nsmitchell's Avatar
 
Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,065
31MPG - Drivin' it hard on this tank, but no AC. Sprint starts and high speed driving. I need to mellow out some...
__________________
Other car is a 2005 Mustang Convertible 4.0L V6 Manual - Legend Lime
Get YarAss in gear!
RIP - Casey Tatum
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #689
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons
 
Racer X-8's Avatar
 
Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: warmed-up, SC
Posts: 92
I once tried taking a trip with 4 ppl and a luggage carrier on the roof. The poor thing was really struggling, I had to floor it a lot. The darn luggage carrier really did need a roof rack, so I deemed it unsafe and returned home after about 30 miles of trying. My point being, loaded-down like that, it really is underpowered so badly, the mpg would have probably been like 20-25.
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #690
nsmitchell
 
nsmitchell's Avatar
 
Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X-8
I once tried taking a trip with 4 ppl and a luggage carrier on the roof. The poor thing was really struggling, I had to floor it a lot. The darn luggage carrier really did need a roof rack, so I deemed it unsafe and returned home after about 30 miles of trying. My point being, loaded-down like that, it really is underpowered so badly, the mpg would have probably been like 20-25.
I was considering taking the Yaris on a camping trip with the wife and 2 kids this weekend. I just don't think we could stuff 4 sleeping bags and our tent in the hatch. I will try though. And a cooler. Maybe one of those folding coolers and I will just buy food after we set up camp. Thinking about Loft Mountain Campground in the Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. I may end up taking the Odyssey though. It gets about 20-25MPG on the HWY...
__________________
Other car is a 2005 Mustang Convertible 4.0L V6 Manual - Legend Lime
Get YarAss in gear!
RIP - Casey Tatum
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #691
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons
 
Racer X-8's Avatar
 
Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: warmed-up, SC
Posts: 92
Darned luggage carriers are almost always designed to be strapped-down to a roof rack. I bungee-corded mine thru the windows, hooked inside to each other. I thought it would work, but the air pushed it back almost to the antena and the front of it made a "wall" that the air blew against. Argh, and the buffeting was getting pretty bad above 60 mph. I was extremely relieved to get it home unscathed, we threw the bags in the trunk of our 32 mpg Infiniti G20T and re-started the trip 1 hour later than expected, all the way to Kissimmee, FL. We would have been in big trouble if we didn't bail.
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #692
foober
 
Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: kalispell, montana
Posts: 351
Got my scangaugeII today and went out and did some research.

I can tell you from just what I've seen so far most of your gas usage is in the lower gears and when your speeding up. While coasting on the highway the yaris gets around 60 miles to the gallon. It appeared to get even around 70 but that was going at around 55. I noticed that the slower you go in a higher gear the better gas milage you get. I guess thats a given. But even taking it very easy on the gas pedal in 1st and 2nd gear you only get around 15 to 25 miles to the gallon.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #693
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard
 
ItsMyDaily's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
Got my scangaugeII today and went out and did some research.

I can tell you from just what I've seen so far most of your gas usage is in the lower gears and when your speeding up. While coasting on the highway the yaris gets around 60 miles to the gallon. It appeared to get even around 70 but that was going at around 55. I noticed that the slower you go in a higher gear the better gas milage you get. I guess thats a given. But even taking it very easy on the gas pedal in 1st and 2nd gear you only get around 15 to 25 miles to the gallon.
what kind of equipment was used?
__________________
Yaris Mods:
20% Tints
Ground wires

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #694
foober
 
Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: kalispell, montana
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyDaily
what kind of equipment was used?
just the scanguageII gizmo. Here's the website. www.scanguage.com

Its a pretty amazing little thing. Does alot.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #695
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard
 
ItsMyDaily's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
just the scanguageII gizmo. Here's the website. www.scanguage.com

Its a pretty amazing little thing. Does alot.
wow thankx for the link. Pretty kool little thing. The prius's come with something similar sock. I'm ganna go ahead and order one.....it'll work as an rpm gauge also so
__________________
Yaris Mods:
20% Tints
Ground wires

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #696
Frink
 
Frink's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 5 door 5 speed
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 18
Filled the Yaris up this morning and was pleased to break into the 4's...
654.4km and 32 litres = 4.9l/100km which is about 48mpg for the tank.
Best tank yet.

Last edited by Frink; 10-06-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #697
sam07yaris
 
sam07yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 244
good . try to get a few extra mpgs in there and beat my 51.2 mpg 147miles @2.7 gallons
__________________
sam07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #698
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Update:
Latest tank gave me 45.38 mpg (Imp), or 37.79 mpg (US), or 6.22 liters per 100 km. I started with a full tank and drove 628.4 km and refilled the tank till the nozzle clicked with 39.114 litres. The ratio between city and highway driving was around 30/70 and the AC was on about 20% of the time. The load was driver plus one with some personal belongings most of the time. My city is quite hilly.
NB: The result could have been inflated a little because unlike in the past, starting from the latest tank, I heeded advices about not to "fill till it spill" whilst for the tank before that one, I did just that.
Here are some more details:

Fuel Cost
$37.71

Distance travelled
628.4 km
390.49 miles

Fuel Amount
39.11 litres
10.33 US gallons
8.6 Imperial gallons
Cost of Fuel
$0.96 per litre
$3.65 per US gallon
$4.38 per Imperial gallon

Fuel Economy
6.22
litres per 100 km
37.79
miles per US gallon
45.38
miles per Imperial gallon

Mileage Costs
6.001
¢ents per km
9.66
¢ents per mil
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #699
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.
 
argylesocks's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: manch
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam07yaris
good . try to get a few extra mpgs in there and beat my 51.2 mpg 147miles @2.7 gallons
are you using a scangauge to measure this?

i dont mean to doubt you... but damn, thats some gooood mpg's!
my best was 44.2 for a FULL tank... 95% highway at 58mph, coasting in neutral whenever i could.
__________________
Free veggie starter kit!
argylesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:03 AM   #700
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard
 
ItsMyDaily's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 297
do you guys think it would help an auto yaris to be in neutral at red lights or when stoped rather then being on the brake.
I'm to used to manuel cars :D
__________________
Yaris Mods:
20% Tints
Ground wires

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:04 AM   #701
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons
 
Racer X-8's Avatar
 
Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: warmed-up, SC
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyDaily
do you guys think it would help an auto yaris to be in neutral at red lights or when stoped rather then being on the brake.
I'm to used to manuel cars :D
Your mpg would be negligible -to- zero change. You're in LA. Do you sit in snarled traffic jams that much? I'm hardly ever sitting still, so even if it mattered, the % of "driving" time sitting still is negligible to zero by itself. I would be more concerned about the effects of the abnormally high amount of shifting in and out of "drive". What mechanism(s) might wear-out doing that? I dunno, maybe that's no biggie.
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #702
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard
 
ItsMyDaily's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X-8
Your mpg would be negligible -to- zero change. You're in LA. Do you sit in snarled traffic jams that much? I'm hardly ever sitting still, so even if it mattered, the % of "driving" time sitting still is negligible to zero by itself. I would be more concerned about the effects of the abnormally high amount of shifting in and out of "drive". What mechanism(s) might wear-out doing that? I dunno, maybe that's no biggie.
I believe the La traffic is what is getting me in the mpg category. Needless to say I tend to back many back streets to avoid it. I do get caught sometimes though, but not much you can do there. I did not think of anything being worn do to the shifting involved going to nuetral, and back to drive again..hmmm...I'm curious to know if anything would be effected in the long run as well.

From what I've been reading though. People are averaging their mpg's driving between 55-60mph. While I tend to keep mine between 60-70mph. It's kinda hard not to go faster when you drive in LA highways, where everyone is basically speeding. even the people that aren't trying to speed are going over the limit.
__________________
Yaris Mods:
20% Tints
Ground wires

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.