Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #307
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches
 
Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Got only 37-38 km out of the 6th fuel gauge bar. Must have been my worst bar this far. Reasons? Lots of city and up/down hill driving, mostly rather short trips, and the A/C was on most of the time.
Just hope it is not going to adversely affect the overall fuel economy numbers of the whole tank too much. Not looking good anyway because I will probably not be hitting any highway for the rest of the tank.
.
The "fuel gauge bars" mean absolutely nothing. Ignore them.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #308
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Thanks a lot. I know they are not very accurate. I just use them as some kind of rough reference. There are certainly better ways to gauge the car's fuel economy, especially for the long term.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #309
fearturtle44
 
Drives: S Flint Mica
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 209
It will be YEARS before ethanol because a reality in majority of cities and towns in the US. People should NOT put any substantial content of ethanol in their current engines. Engines have to be built/configured for a true subtantial ethanol % content.

Personally, I hope ethanol does come sooner but seeing that we (U.S.) did almost nothing for last 30 years (since last gas crunch), I had little faith.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #310
ricko
 
ricko's Avatar
 
Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Georgian Triangle Ont.
Posts: 310
My experience is that fuel gauges are never very accurate. The one in my Yaris is very misleading. It seems safer to use the tripmeter.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #311
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickNick
Check your tire pressure...make sure you're running at EXACTLY 2.2BAR/32PSI...makes a huge difference on my car...I had my tire pressure around the 29-30PSI mark, and lost about 10mpg on the highway. I'm sure it'd have been even worse in the city.
Ok.... I will try this and see if it makes any different! Sure hope it does!
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #312
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
It will be YEARS before ethanol because a reality in majority of cities and towns in the US. People should NOT put any substantial content of ethanol in their current engines. Engines have to be built/configured for a true subtantial ethanol % content.

Personally, I hope ethanol does come sooner but seeing that we (U.S.) did almost nothing for last 30 years (since last gas crunch), I had little faith.

Kevin
Ethanol is a bad thing. A very bad thing. I still haven't found a station near me that hasn't converted to e10. Sad. Ethanol makes gas mileage worse by at least 10%, prolly more, and yet the price reduction is nowhere near 10% of the prices of real gas.

So you and I end up losing money by buying e10 or e15 gas.

I can't seem to find any fed or state law that has been past, so I think the guy was lying to me.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #313
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
*Another update thru the long weekend, I actually drove for a lil trip.
402 km / 30.4 Litre
Mostly highway, 80/20 hwy/city
The number still shows 7.56.
When is this nightmare going to end! I am driving constantly at 130km/h in the hwy and hardly going over 3000 rpm in city.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
It is not necessarily driving like a maniac that can hurt fuel economy.

What are the roads like where you drive?

Do you use the AC a ton?

Do you carry a lot of extra gear?

And of course there is always the chance that something might actually be wrong from the factory.
Let's see...
The road is not too bad, for those of us who have drive around richmond hill knows that it's not the best, but it doesn't nearly have as much pot hole than other cities around GTA.

I am cutting down the A/C since the tank before for last, but it doesn't seems to help as much as I would like it to be.

extra gear? not really, the heaviest thing is me. my gf weight probably half or 2/3 weigh than me and my chihuahua, yeah, he's only 6.9 pounds.

I am thinking I will try check the tire pressure as NickNickNick mentioned, and one step at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
Ziv ...... you know "Why" might have a point about there being a problem. My mileage has NEVER gone above 6.9L/100km, and my best (in gas miser mode) was 6.1L/100km. I live on the edge of a small resort town, so little traffic to deal with so far, but I have almost no highway miles. For the most part I drive ............ "energetically", because I enjoy the car (Yaris RS 5-speed) so much. I would get it checked out. The only other possibility is that you deal with a lot of "stop and go" traffic.

Thank you very much for your input. And yeah, it's true that I deals with TONS of stop and go traffic around GTA.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #314
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
I should have been clearer, not potholes, but are there lots of hills, and do you do lots of stop and go driving? That can hurt mileage.

Of course going 130 kph does hurt gas mileage.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #315
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
I should have been clearer, not potholes, but are there lots of hills, and do you do lots of stop and go driving? That can hurt mileage.

Of course going 130 kph does hurt gas mileage.
No, I don't think there are lots of hills at all. although its call richmond hill, but it's not as bad. I drive an auto and never really downgear to climb. As I mentioned. I never really go over 3000rpm in city. roughly 2500rpm will do the trick bring me around 70ish ~80 km/h.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #316
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Then it just might be the top speed. The last question is how do you accelerate and decelerate?

Do you use lots of throttle position, and do you find yourself always slamming on the brakes.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #317
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
I never floor mine when the lights turns green. My buddy does, he have the RS. And the strange thing is he have the same milage as me.

slamming on the brakes.... not that I notice, although I like turning corners at a higher speed than my old car. I felt I can do MUCH better cornering on my Yaris than my old altima.

As I have said. I will check the tire pressure after work today. 'why?', what PSI do you suggest for tire pressure? mind you, I am still on those 14 stock wheels.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #318
ricko
 
ricko's Avatar
 
Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Georgian Triangle Ont.
Posts: 310
I was once told that to get the best mileage you imagine an egg between you foot and the gas pedal. Lots of scrambled eggs in my car.
I really think it is the stop and go stuff. The only time I see that kind of driving up here is on the "Elvis" weekend.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #319
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH
 
Jem_hadar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Collingwood, ON
Posts: 632
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
I was once told that to get the best mileage you imagine an egg between you foot and the gas pedal. Lots of scrambled eggs in my car.
I really think it is the stop and go stuff. The only time I see that kind of driving up here is on the "Elvis" weekend.
FUCK Elivis! (LOL... i suppose)

I still wish back in 04 I had gotten to see a kandi raver get in a fight w/ an elvi impersonator! That woulda MADE my weekend! It was so great escaping the Elvis weekend because WEMF was held at the dates (and in our neck of the woods too!)


Jem

[/hijack]
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #320
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
Then it just might be the top speed. The last question is how do you accelerate and decelerate?

Do you use lots of throttle position, and do you find yourself always slamming on the brakes.
Yes, yes! A top speed in the region of 130km/hr can mean 15%+ more fuel consumption as compared with travelling at 90km/hr because there is a lot more headwind(=air friction) to overcome. I am stating it conservatively. The difference can in fact be much greater.

Last edited by swng; 05-23-2006 at 06:19 PM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #321
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
My experience is that fuel gauges are never very accurate. The one in my Yaris is very misleading. It seems safer to use the tripmeter.
Thanks a lot for the opinion. For the long term, I fill up the tank, set the trip odometer to zero, drive until the tank is quite empty(but I always try to leave a fuel reserve for about 100km in the tank), then fill up again, and record the trip odometer reading and the amount of fuel bought and then use those figures to calculate the fuel economy of the car. I do the same every time I fill up so that I can know how well my car does in the long term on average.
I believe many friends here use more or less the same method.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #322
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Yes, yes! A top speed in the region of 130km/hr can mean 15%+ more fuel consumption as compared with travelling at 90km/hr because there is a lot more headwind(=air friction) to overcome. I am stating it conservatively. The difference can in fact be much greater.
My, my. I wil keep that in mind! Thanks!
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #323
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
I never floor mine when the lights turns green. My buddy does, he have the RS. And the strange thing is he have the same milage as me.

slamming on the brakes.... not that I notice, although I like turning corners at a higher speed than my old car. I felt I can do MUCH better cornering on my Yaris than my old altima.

As I have said. I will check the tire pressure after work today. 'why?', what PSI do you suggest for tire pressure? mind you, I am still on those 14 stock wheels.
I am pretty sure max tire pressures should be written on the tire. Go by what the tires say, not the manual.

And the higher the better.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #324
Ziv
It's all about VVTI
 
Ziv's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
I am pretty sure max tire pressures should be written on the tire. Go by what the tires say, not the manual.

And the higher the better.
At the side of the car behind the door, it actually mention 32 PSI.

Is higher actually better? because I heard the higher it is, the greater chance of your tire can get bust.
__________________
Ziv on Vitz '06.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.