Quote:
Originally Posted by rstb88
I disagree with the above, it doesn't need to be hot but not cold. Warm enough to run out smoothly not hot enough to melt gloves to your hand(running temp). Filler cap doesn't matter when opened, aslong as you open it. I would never use anything on a seal that would touch my engine oil unless it is the same oil(old or new) Granted its not much grease, but its an undesired product that may or may not contaminate my oil. Don't have to be down to put the drain plug it just gotta be down before you start the car and check the levels. Aweful hard to get under a Yaris to put the plug back in when its not on stands. I've always use old oil, 1 because unless I see metal flakes or grittyness I feel that it is safe to use 2 my finger doesn't reach far enough into the new oil to get some.
O I'm envious of that stove, I want it. It looks like either a Viking or Wolfe.
|
You want the oil as hot as possible for maximum flow for the longest period. Opening the filler cap after the plug is pulled keeps the oil from shooting out all over your hands so you don't have to worry about a burn (basic physics). A small amt of wheel bearing grease on the gasket in not going to contaminate your oil....it more effectively seals the flange and allows you to remove the filter with ease at the next change (by hand). It doesn't even come in contact with the oil.