Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Why you should not use cheap audio cables.

So the place that installed my amp used what appears to be a cheap generic blue audio cable. When i went to unplug them the metal portion of the cable was left inside the amp and the wire just came in in my hand. I was like wtf and took the piece out. It just seperated. Now it makes me wonder the issue with my speakers could have been the faulty wire in the first place.

So before i put in my new amp i gota get new cables. What brand do you guys recommend. I dont wana wait to order online so pretty much whatever i can buy at best buy. I usually see monster cables.

Another thing i noticed that the installer tapped into a black wire in the harness for the deck and ran a wire and wrapped it around one of the rear channel rca cables plugged into the head unit. THis makes me think if its the same one that is plugged into the amplifier that broke when i unplugged it. Maybe it had a faulty ground cause it was seperated and thats what he did to band aid fix it. Cause there was this horrible engine whine. And he was too lazy to rerun new wires. What he told me was the sound was because of a problem with my deck and it was bad. And he helped fix it and save me money.

I guess ill find out once i get new wires and disconect that seperate ground wire and see if there is still noise.

One last thing what do you guys recommend for length of cable. 3 feet is slightly short and a little stretched i have to run it right next to the power and ground wire and i heard that can cause interference. Or 6 feet and ill have tons of slack ill have to bunch it up and have to tuck it up somewhere.

My amp is installed under my seat so its very close to the deck.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 07-28-2010 at 10:30 PM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote