Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
monkeycoke12
2 Door Egg Driver

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Headlight sensor install

I ordered one of these the other day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180819783598...ht_3249wt_1180

It's one of those auto turn on your headlights when it gets dark sensors. It also will leave your headlights on for 30 seconds after you've turn off your engine. There is a remote line too so you can trigger the headlights remotely if you'd like.

It's suppose to be an easy install and turns out its not that hard.

The instructions are in Chinese and "English".

The install is really quite simple.
Blue wires are for the headlights
Green wires are for the daytime run lights
Yellow is for ACC power
Red line is for constant power
Black is ground
Brown is for a remote line
White is for HIDs

Well I don't have stock HIDs and I'm not going to use the remote line.

I opened the steering column by removing the 3 screws holding it in place. This exposed the harness that has the switched lines for the headlights.

You can see where I tapped into the necessary lines to turn on the headlights. I Looked all over the internet to find a diagram of this harness but alas I ended up pulling out my voltage meter and tested the terminals inside this harness to see which ones when hot when I turned on the headlights. Not to hard it went quick.

Once I was all punched in I ran the sensor to the dash, stuck it in place and fired up the car.

Everything worked great.

If anyone wants more detailed photos or better instructions let me know. I'd be happy to share.

Ok after an evening of it install I've noticed 2 things:
1: The dash indicator doesn't turn on when the sensor turned on the lights (anyone know how to get that to work? I'm guessing I just need to bridge the switch to another wire)
2: The "headlights are still on" alarm sounds for the 30 seconds that the sensor keeps the lights on. (not a big deal)

I think I'm going to hell. When I'm given a compliment I'm torn between saying 'thank you' and 'I know'.
Monkeycoke12
Mods: Rims, tint, spoiler, Vitz emblems, power windows, power locks, Eiboch Pro-line springs, rear bumper guard, tow hitch, rear sway bar, vinyl decals, carbon fiber door handles, stubby antenna
Soon: aFe intake, HID fog lights, HIDs and projectors
monkeycoke12 is offline   Reply With Quote