Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Exscotticus

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Powering a dash cam

I'm driving a 2009 Yaris 4DHB. I'd like to install one of those dash cams that mount below the rear view mirror. I searched the forums for ideas on how to power it. I don't want to snake a wire all the way around since part of it would be visible. The idea of snaking another wire through the A or B pillar sounds great, but it's not something I could or would do on my own. I wouldn't mind hiring someone to do it if I could find someone I trust, but I already have bitter experiences hiring "professionals" who screw things up. Finally, my wife doesn't want me to do anything that can't be easily undone.

The solution I have in mind is to take advantage of the fact that there's already wiring to that area to power the dome lights. It's simple to snake a wire from this recessed area to where I need it for the dash cam perhaps six inches away. Although I'm comfortable splicing and soldering, I want to honor my wife's wishes and not alter the car in such a way that I can't return it to the way it was. If someone can help me identify the female connector that's being used, and if I can acquire its male counterpart, plus another female connector, then I can make an adapter that simply attaches to the existing connector, provides the same connector to the light module, plus a third wire that powers the dash cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (112.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (82.3 KB, 157 views)
Exscotticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam, connector, dash, power