Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
My HS build

Hey guys. This is probably a useless post as few will run HS, but in case it helps anyone (I'm also sitting around, bored after surgery) here is my setup:

-09 5dr
-205/50R15 NT01
-15" Mini Imola rims
-Rear TRD bar
-Front Tanabe bar
-Tokico blue struts shocks.
-Tire pressures 46/36psi (could lower a hair if you didn't care about edge-wear)
-harness lap-belt
-everything else is OEM

Balance is good but you must get the weight onto the front to prevent understeer. It is the most critical part of driving this car, maybe tied with being early enough to let the soft springs settle. So long as as you get the weight to the front, the car will turn in, just hint at understeer, then immediately (and controllable) rotate.

At this point, I think the car is as done as it's going to get for HS in autoX. The next steps would be spending more $$$ than is practical for the car. Hoosiers, lighter rims, and Tokico Reds (or customs). I can't justify that for this car. I might see some improvement from pads/braided lines, but they are enough for autoX (barely... another 10kph faster and I'd need to upgrade).

And yes, I know I'd be more competitive in STF. However I get NT01s cheap, and HS keeps me from spending $$$ on the Yaris (and lets me spend it on my faster car ). In terms of making the car faster while ignoring classes, springs would be step 1. Most of what I do (the parts and driving style) is to try to compensate for the soft springs.

As is, this setup has let me PAX 3rd or 4th a couple times in a VERY competitive area (admittedly on courses that were perfect for a Yaris, or when few fast drivers showed up). I probably PAX an average of ~20th of 80+ drivers which isn't bad for this little car with a meathead behind the wheel.

Cheers.
Cory
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote