Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
What mileage would you consider selling your Yaris?

I created this thread just because I like to plan big changes, years in advance.

We bought the wife's 09 Yaris sedan in 2011. Had 40k miles on it. Now it has 200k. I was thinking we will probably sell it when it has 450k miles on it. And just buy another low mileage Yaris sedan, and start the process all over again. What are your thoughts on this? We change the oil with a high quality synthetic every 7500 miles, religiously. We also use a high end oil filter that I researched thoroughly before selecting which one we were going to use for the life of the car.

But at 450k miles, you begin to question how much longer an engine will last. I've known some cars that have very high mileage like that, to just finally die one day and need a new engine. Sometimes when the mileage gets that high, a connecting rod will just let go one day. Its not like you can complain if a connecting rod lets go, in an engine that has 450k miles. Most cars would have been crushed and melted 250k miles before that.

But that was just an example, you can insert whatever major expensive engine repairs you want. So at what mileage, would you consider selling your yaris? Even if you were just going to go out and buy yet another Yaris to replace it. Is there some general knowledge of when these engines typically fail? Even if maintained properly.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote