Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
RIP Ole' Bess

My wife bought a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix Clone) brand new in 05 and drove it daily until a few months ago when we finally got something a little bigger. At that time it had nearly 270k on the clock and the only major issues it ever had were covered by recalls.

Issues-

bad water pump - covered by a recall - this was a year after she bought it
trans sensor issue - covered by a recall
electric fan died - not covered by a recall, but a brand new one was 40 bucks

That is literally the full list of problems with the car. It had started to burn a bit of oil and had some top end noise at startup, but aside from that it ran great.

We actually gave it our 16 year old daughter to drive and she loved it as well. She will be getting her license next month so she has been driving it all over with me in the passenger seat so she can get her required hours with her learner's permit.

Last Saturday we were out driving and stopped at a red light. I looked down to text my wife back and next thing I know my phone is no longer in my hand. We were rear-ended by a newer 4-Runner.

The vibe kept us safe, but it did not come out unscathed. I'm 100% sure it will be totalled and I'm hoping to replace it with another vibe and buy this one back if the price is right. Here are a few pics of the damage.

I would have to say out of all the cars I've owned this has 100% been the most reliable car and we are all very bummed about the accident. I definitely would not have wanted my daughter to experience this so early in her driving experience, but since we're both OK I'm glad it at least happened in a well-built car.

RIP "Ole' Bess" We're sad you didn't make it to 300k (I know it would have).

BTW it still runs fine and the only reason I couldn't drive it home is that the quarter panel is pushed into the driver's side rear tire. No glass broke, not even the tail lights.