Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
AndyW

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB 5-spd
2007 brake bleed question

Hello. I have a 2007 hatchback 5-spd and want to flush and bleed the brakes and clutch.

I sucked the old fluid from the reservoir and replaced with clean, then went to the rear to start bleeding the brakes. Despite my best efforts I could not budge the bleeder on either side (haven't tried the fronts or clutch). It started to get dark so I had to put the wheels back on and put away my tools (apartment parking lots suck!).

The bleeder was a bit rusty but not horrible. I soaked both sides several times with a WD-40 but that hasn't helped. I will note that I have a cheap 12-pt wrench set which probably isn't helping me.

So, is 8mm the correct size wrench for the rear drum brake bleeders? It almost feels like I need a 7.5mm, if there were such a thing. It feels like the bleeder is starting to turn but I think that's just the 8mm wrench starting to slip and I don't want to round the bleeder off and really cause a problem. I suspect that the edges of the bleeder are a bit rounded off with age and rust.

Is there some trick, like the bleeders turn in the opposite direction from normal?

I am assuming that the old/dirty fluid in the lines doesn't really exchange much with the fresh I just put in the reservoir, so without a proper flush/bleed I haven't really accomplished anything.

Any other tips or ideas?
Thanks.
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, brake, diy, maintenance