Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
mikeb25
 
mikeb25's Avatar
 
Drives: Liftback S soon
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 29
Good luck trying to get the ABS or power anything in NY. I've been trying since February at 5 different dealerships...
Every single one will try to get you into a Corolla or a Scion if they can and will never understand why you would want any kind of options on a Yaris.

One dealer actually called my wife and I "lazy" for wanting power windows...
Quote: "you know I hate to say it, but if you can't reach over and just turn a crank, well that's just kinda lazy to me"
Needless to say, we will NOT be going back there.

Anyway, long story short, there are NO cars with power or ABS in the entire state- they don't even send them here. You do have a few options though...

1. I'm not sure where you live in New York State, but if you can get to Vermont, you can get either the Power Package, OR ABS and Side Curtain Airbags.

2. If you can get to Pennsylvania you can get both together, along with keyless entry

3. You can move to Canada and get an RS... but it's just about impossible to bring one back; US pollution regulations, red tape, taxes, etc...

4. You can find a local dealer, including the 110 year-old manure salesman, who is willing to do some work to do a "swap" with an out-of-state dealer..

5. or if you can stand waiting about 4-6 months you can order and/or "preference" whatever you want, but definately be vigilant...

Anyway, I have found first-hand they will try to get you to buy anything they already have on the lot no matter what you tell them... and they WILL lie. 3 of the 5 dealers I have gone to STILL deny that Toyota even makes them with Power and ABS... ANYWHERE in the country which is absolutely FALSE. When I told one salesman that they have them in Pennsylvania he said "well, you should go to Pennsylvania then."

Fact of the matter is, they only make 500 to 700 dollars off the car whether they sell it off the lot or intercept one off the boat from Japan. Get a salesman that will agree to show you an invoice if you agree on a certain percent commission above invoice. 5% is fair. Tell them what you want and that you are not interested in anything else. If they try to get you into a Corolla tell them you're next choice after the Yaris would be a Hyundai anyway.. then they'll start to work for you. They would rather do the work and make the sale than not make the sale at all...

But they would much, much rather sell you a Corolla.

Last edited by mikeb25; 07-31-2007 at 10:16 AM.
mikeb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
gaffo
 
Drives: integra
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: norman
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb25 View Post
Good luck trying to get the ABS or power anything in NY. I've been trying since February at 5 different dealerships...
Every single one will try to get you into a Corolla or a Scion if they can and will never understand why you would want any kind of options on a Yaris.

One dealer actually called my wife and I "lazy" for wanting power windows...
Quote: "you know I hate to say it, but if you can't reach over and just turn a crank, well that's just kinda lazy to me"
Needless to say, we will NOT be going back there.

Anyway, long story short, there are NO cars with power or ABS in the entire state- they don't even send them here. You do have a few options though...

1. I'm not sure where you live, but if you can get to Vermont, you can get either the Power Package, OR ABS and Side Curtain Airbags.

2. If you can get to Pennsylvania you can get both together, along with keyless entry

3. You can move to Canada and get an RS... but it's just about impossible to bring one back; US pollution regulations, red tape, taxes, etc...

4. You can find a local dealer, including the 110 year-old manure salesman, who is willing to do some work to do a "swap" with an out-of-state dealer..

5. or if you can stand waiting about 4-6 months you can order and/or "preference" whatever you want, but definately be vigilant...

Anyway, I have found first-hand they will try to get you to buy anything they already have on the lot no matter what you tell them... and they WILL lie. 3 of the 5 dealers I have gone to STILL deny that Toyota even makes them with Power and ABS... ANYWHERE in the country which is absolutely FALSE. When I told one salesman that they have them in Pennsylvania he said "well, you should go to Pennsylvania then."

Fact of the matter is, they only make 500 to 700 dollars off the car whether they sell it off the lot or intercept one off the boat from Japan. Get a salesman that will agree to show you an invoice if you agree on a certain percent commission above invoice. 5% is fair. Tell them what you want and that you are not interested in anything else. If they try to get you into a Corolla tell them you're next choice after the Yaris would be a Hyundai anyway.. then they'll start to work for you. They would rather do the work and make the sale than not make the sale at all...

But they would much, much rather sell you a Carolla.
this was my experience too - I will NEVER buy Toyota anything again - regardless not after being told "you want power windows? just by our scion Xa" a MILLION TIMES.

and being told "you want a manual with power package? why? everyone drives automatics now".


ENOUGH - fuck em i say.

oh ya, I "ordered" my HB 5-sp with power package (gee they only made 270,000 in Brittany last year and is the top selling car with above options in Europe......but gee none here in the US!!!!!!!!!

I find it outragous that:

1. There are NO Yaris in the US with the configuration of the 270,000 in Europe. (#1 seller)

2. That I actually "put up with it" and ordered my car from Japan via a dealership that refuses to update me on progress or return my phonecalls - 4 months and counting.

3. Toyota is SO INCOMPETENT in "promoting" (ya right) the Yaris here in the United States. no ABS no side air/back air/passener airbags/ no power package on manual. ALL inexcusable.

.................

to hell with Toyota - hope everyone/anyone else tears them a new one over this whole mess.

end rant.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Tokiko
 
Tokiko's Avatar
 
Drives: '93 Chevy Cavalier
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mahopac, New York
Posts: 4
Send a message via AIM to Tokiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb25 View Post
Good luck trying to get the ABS or power anything in NY. I've been trying since February at 5 different dealerships...
Every single one will try to get you into a Corolla or a Scion if they can and will never understand why you would want any kind of options on a Yaris.

Anyway, long story short, there are NO cars with power or ABS in the entire state- they don't even send them here. You do have a few options though...

Anyway, I have found first-hand they will try to get you to buy anything they already have on the lot no matter what you tell them...
Haha I thought that too, after doing a quick search on the Toyota website. There are so many Toyota dealerships in this area (Westchester / Putnam Counties, in NY) that it's not even funny. Where I live, we're right on the CT border, and south enough that a handful of NJ dealerships are within 50 miles.

That search I did was really funny, too. I did a quick search for both Sedan and LB versions of the automatic Yaris w/Cold weather and Power packages, and two of the closest dealerships didn't show up as results, but three that won "President's Awards" did. So, I sent those three emails, and their replies have seemed rather scant.

One, (Mt. Kisco's Toyota North,) has sent me three emails since my query, even though I've already talked to one of their salesman already. In fact, the guy outright told me that they don't have any Yarii on their lot, at all. After finding that out in my first conversation with them, I told them I'd get back in touch with them when I was ready to buy, and all of their emails since have informed me of their many other Scion, Toyota and Lexus models that they have. (None of which were Yarii.)

Curry/Geis Toyota was the dealership I was talking about in that rant, before. When Geis owned all their dealerships they were awesome. In the past few years, Curry has slowly grabbed up every single Geis-owned dealership, and re-labelled them part of the Curry family's (many, apparently) dealerships.

From looks alone, Curry had at least 20 Scions, 15 Yarii, and 4 Corollas on their lot. One of the Corollas had a huge "SOLD" sign covering 2/3's of the windshield. That left 3 Corollas on the lot they could even show me. Of those, I think 2 were LE models. The Corolla I was taken on a test-drive in, had a moon-roof, and so many options thrown into it that the ticket on the side said the MSRP was $20k+.

I also talked to a dealership in Connecticut- Greentree Toyota in Danbury. The form I filled out on the Toyota site marking down exactly what model and options I wanted in my prospective car, and sent out feelers to the shops in Mt. Kisco, NY, and Greentree. Greentree's "Internet sales department" sent me an email within an hour, and I was on the phone with them within three.

I got a lot of good answers from the guy, but wasn't told that there would be added taxes and fees if I purchased a car in CT and took it back over the border to NY. The guy at Curry was so fast to point that out that it wasn't funny. I certainly hope that's not the case, though. The guy at Greentree seemed to be the nicest guy I got in contact with.

I told all three dealerships I talked to exactly what I wanted, and only the one in CT was willing to talk about Yaris models, and said that getting ones with both CW/Power pacakages wouldn't be a problem. When I first walked onto the Curry lot, I also saw that two of the Yarii that were there, also had both packages already installed.

I live not even 50 miles north of NYC, placing me right exactly between the city, CT and NJ. I guess being this far south might help getting the exact car you want. It's really funny though. If you talk to anyone in NYC or even Westchester county, and tell them you live in Putnam, the standard reaction is "Oh, you live *upstate.*" That definition is kinda fluid down here. A lot of people don't even know that Rockland County is in NY, they think it's in NJ. If you ask me, though... I'd say "upstate" NY begins just north of us, in Dutchess County, north. That's just me, though. Haha.
Tokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 7 09-20-2023 07:50 AM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
looking to pick up a yaris. Performance questions. wlfpck Performance Modifications 7 02-21-2007 12:59 AM
getting a yaris... questions... ku-rei New YARIS Purchase Forum 8 10-12-2006 07:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.