Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous
 
07WYarisRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ridgeway Ontario
Posts: 573
have you ever wondered why you never see a K&N filter on any stock machine?
if they were so great why don't they use them
Simple
cotton filter are the worst filter type for filtering fine dust that will cause premature engine wear.
Even K&N recommends a foam prefilter for dusty conditions

do think you car sees much dusty conditions? don't wash under the hood for a couple months and look how much dust built up collects on the engine cover, not X that by XXXXXXXXXX the amount of air you engine sucks in everyday and think about how much of that dust is going into your engine.

As a motorcycle mechanic I have seen hundreds of engines destroyed by using K&N filters. #1 they do throw off the jetting sometime lean other times they reduce the intake velocity and cause the engine to run too rich or just poorly overall. Even FI bike need to have the fuel systems re-mapped for a K&N.

for you K&N owners take a clean white rag and go wipe out the intake pipe to the manifold and then tell us its clean in there. I have shown dozens of owners this for YEARS and most people withh agree they SUCK. if the MFG could gain and extra MPG from a different air filter don't you think they would have installed it?
__________________
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
07WYarisRS is offline  
Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
1stToyota
 
1stToyota's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,185
Amsoil needs to get it in gear and release their Ea paper filter for the Yaris; guaranteed for 100K miles, and it's reusable...they say just vacuum it, shake it out, wipe down w/ soft bristle brush, etc...

Only cotton filter I ever liked was the one made by Green (big in Europe, I think)...its cotton was weaved, like bluejeans, not loose layering, and was supposed to filter better, but still not as good as paper.
__________________


1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline  
Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ME
Posts: 498
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Amsoil needs to get it in gear and release their Ea paper filter for the Yaris; guaranteed for 100K miles, and it's reusable...they say just vacuum it, shake it out, wipe down w/ soft bristle brush, etc...
I couldn't agree more-those are great filters. I'd love to get my hands on one for a Yaris but I'm afflicted with this curse where they never offer one for the vehicles I end up buying!

R2
__________________
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline  
Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
1stToyota
 
1stToyota's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I couldn't agree more-those are great filters. I'd love to get my hands on one for a Yaris but I'm afflicted with this curse where they never offer one for the vehicles I end up buying!

R2
My brother bought one for his new Ranger; looked like a very good and durable filter.
__________________


1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline  
Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
b_hickman11
 
Drives: 08 Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
have you ever wondered why you never see a K&N filter on any stock machine?
if they were so great why don't they use them
Simple
cotton filter are the worst filter type for filtering fine dust that will cause premature engine wear.
Even K&N recommends a foam prefilter for dusty conditions

do think you car sees much dusty conditions? don't wash under the hood for a couple months and look how much dust built up collects on the engine cover, not X that by XXXXXXXXXX the amount of air you engine sucks in everyday and think about how much of that dust is going into your engine.

As a motorcycle mechanic I have seen hundreds of engines destroyed by using K&N filters. #1 they do throw off the jetting sometime lean other times they reduce the intake velocity and cause the engine to run too rich or just poorly overall. Even FI bike need to have the fuel systems re-mapped for a K&N.

for you K&N owners take a clean white rag and go wipe out the intake pipe to the manifold and then tell us its clean in there. I have shown dozens of owners this for YEARS and most people withh agree they SUCK. if the MFG could gain and extra MPG from a different air filter don't you think they would have installed it?
My stock 2005 Taco came with one.....
b_hickman11 is offline  
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Altitude
 
Altitude's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
for you K&N owners take a clean white rag and go wipe out the intake pipe to the manifold and then tell us its clean in there. I have shown dozens of owners this for YEARS and most people withh agree they SUCK.
Checking the intake on my Jeep with AEM CAI and K&N shows clean. I must have one of the K&N's that don't suck. The throttle body does have some gunk in it, but that's oil from the PCV and very, very little of it at that. All of this is with the occasionally very dusty driving conditions 4-wheeling up in the mountains.

Oh, and I clean it *maybe* once a year? Go figure.
Altitude is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Oil and filters Lafiro DIY / Maintenance / Service 94 03-15-2010 03:40 PM
K&N SRI- any experiences? jonismyname Performance Modifications 22 05-29-2009 10:56 PM
TRD High Flow Oil Filters Jansen DIY / Maintenance / Service 20 05-25-2009 04:36 PM
Drop in performance air filters which is best? YarisSedan Performance Modifications 14 11-07-2008 09:52 PM
K&N intakes...bad? SLIK4 Performance Modifications 21 06-19-2007 09:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.