Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
curik
 
Drives: 06 yaris AT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
So I just had my water pump changed less than a month ago. Now it is failed again. Could it be cause of the NST pulley? Non dampned vibration at high rpm killing the water pump? Cause i do drive my car to redline every single day. I am afraid if i take it back this time they will claim it has to do with my aftermarket parts.
Do you mind if I ask you these questions?
-When did you install the NST pulley?
-When did the 1st water pump failure happen? (1000 miles after??)
-Do you think you know how the water pump failed? (leaking, grinding, etc)

I hope this will help everyone here to understand more about the situation. I have browsed through the pages but didn't find anything about the cause of failure of the water pump.
curik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
YarisSedan
 
Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California - Bay Area
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by curik View Post
Do you mind if I ask you these questions?
-When did you install the NST pulley?
-When did the 1st water pump failure happen? (1000 miles after??)
-Do you think you know how the water pump failed? (leaking, grinding, etc)

I hope this will help everyone here to understand more about the situation. I have browsed through the pages but didn't find anything about the cause of failure of the water pump.
Okay I installed my NST pulley on my car had about 12k or so miles on it. I installed everything correctly as well as made sure the belt was not overtightend. I actually marked the position of the altenator before i loosend it with white out and double check the belt tightness after the work was done. At about 18k the water pump failed. Brought it to dealer and they replaced. I know it was leaking cause of the white spots on my driveway and the pink residue on my hood and everywhere else. I clean my engine bay once a month so this is when i really noticed it. It could have been leaking for awile but didnt get bad enough till then.

Then few weeks later about 19k i went to clean my engine bay again i noticed same thing. Not as bad as before but a bit of residue. Also my coolant resivoire is low as well. This time though the belt was overtightend slightly.

I know these toyotas do have issues from the getgo with thier water pumps. Just today a 2003 corolla and 2005 camry came into my shop for a oil change and they both had leaking water pumps. Seems to be maybe one of those "manufactured defects".

I think the fact that i drive agreesively and maybe the NST may have been a contributing factor to the premature failure. But its hard to say. To me it seems like too much of a coincidence. I think even if i didnt have the pulley it would still fail because the fact the parts are problematic from the beginning. I just think that its a possibility it may have accelerated the inevatable.

I am not tryign to stay i believe the reason for my failed water pumps are soley the cause. If you look at the title or my original post there are question marks not a period.

Last edited by YarisSedan; 09-30-2009 at 04:54 PM.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Pump issue, after taking in for Recall GeneralDon7 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 34 05-27-2012 08:04 PM
Yaris Fuel Pump HTM Yaris General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 12 03-22-2012 03:34 AM
Water pump belt and pulley - replaced at 36,000mi cleong DIY / Maintenance / Service 3 03-06-2009 12:12 AM
bye bye water pump cali yaris Performance Modifications 29 01-03-2009 05:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.