Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin
Heres my math:
Yaris $15,000
Prius $25,000
Driving a Yaris 100,000k miles @35 mpg burning gas @ $2.50 a gallon costs $7142
Driving a Prius 100k miles @45 mpg gas @ $2.50 costs $5555
Thats saves >$2000. So you STILL have $8000 in outlay to recover. That wont happen till 400,000 MORE miles. (@$2.50 a gallon)
Am I wrong?
|
No, you're not wrong

Your math is correct and I agree with it, since I own a Yaris and not a Prius. But some may consider the comparison to be unfair, since the Yaris and the Prius are not really in the same category. Yaris probably qualifies as a sub-compact, while the Prius is a compact, more cargo space, more space for passengers as well, so I'd say the comparison is better balanced if you take a Corolla or at least a Scion xD...
The only thing I did not agree with was the "fraud" statement

Otherwise you're right on the money.