Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
1stToyota
 
1stToyota's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
Loren,
I have no question in my mind that Mini wants their oil changed at the longest possible intervals. That's because they want to get you into the dealership for service and bend you over with no lube. I have heard nightmare after nightmare over on NAM forums regarding dealerships absurds costs/pricing along with flat out denial of warranty work. If the Mini is turbocharged....I HIGHLY recommend increasing the OCI.
And with the Yaris being known for its fuel dilution problem, even prompting Amsoil to issue a warning about following Toyota's normal OCI replacement (5k miles) for their 25k mile rated oil filter, I sure wouldn't choose an OCI based on how other vehicles do.
__________________


1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner
 
Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
And with the Yaris being known for its fuel dilution problem, even prompting Amsoil to issue a warning about following Toyota's normal OCI replacement (5k miles) for their 25k mile rated oil filter, I sure wouldn't choose an OCI based on how other vehicles do.

What fuel dilution problem? I'm fairly new to the Yaris, and I don't know what you are talking about. The Yaris is known to allow unburnt fuel to get into the crank case and dilute the oil?

For everyone offering suggestions for oil change intervals, please qualify your recommendations by stating the driving conditions that you are assuming.

Driving conditions would be a MAJOR factor in determining the optimum OCI, other things being equal. A car always driven on the highway is not going to need to have the oil changed as often as would be the case for a car that sees a lot of cold starts, short trips, and idling in traffic.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
1stToyota
 
1stToyota's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,185
That's about the first time I've mentioned the fuel dilution problem here, I've read what other YW members (iirc, R2D2, Lazerdot... ) have stated over the last several months; use the search function. Concerning the problem, you'll discover Amsoil's statements about our engine and their Ea oil filter, etc... Thanks.

And, yes, like I stated before, I'm doing an UOA for my oil, driving conditions and my Yaris, instead of basing OCIs on results of how a different vehicle(s) using different oils, with different driving conditions did with their UOA.
__________________


1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 02-12-2010 at 10:36 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY - Bypassing Tire Pressure Warning System (TPWS / TPMS) CTScott DIY / Maintenance / Service 221 07-16-2025 01:20 AM
DIY - Headlights off with the Ignition Switch CTScott DIY / Maintenance / Service 46 11-03-2018 08:42 PM
DIY (08' USDM LB): Interior Light Color Change revnull DIY / Maintenance / Service 37 05-21-2016 12:59 PM
replacement fog light switch? yrsdrgn Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior) 4 07-17-2007 04:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.