Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Looking good!

It's nice to see a project like this grow and been done!

D.
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
 
Herbicidal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Roseville, CA - USA.
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Looking good!

It's nice to see a project like this grow and been done!

D.
Thanks Derick! Well, almost done. Still need to do the trunk area with the Ensolite and decide on the amp and subwoofer. But I'm darn close!
__________________
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
 
Herbicidal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Roseville, CA - USA.
Posts: 450
After completing the front passenger door, I was starting to run out of RAAMmat. I had only six 15" squares left, so I divided them up amongst the rear doors. I wasn't able to cover them as fully as the front doors, but since they don't have speakers, I wasn't as concerned. I do have plenty of the sound deadening Ensolite foam, so I put that on as thick as I dared. Too thick and the door panels would not fit back on correctly. All four doors are now "dead". You can rap on the outside and it's just a 'thud' vs a hollow sound. Since I have quite a bit of the Ensolite sound deadening foam, I'm going to go back to the trunk area and line it with the Ensolite. Right now it's just covered in the RAAMmat. Then I'll need to try the decibel meter again and see what it reads. To my ears, it is quieter inside and not nearly as much road and exhaust noise makes it's way into the cabin. The stereo sounds better than ever with the new front Kicker speakers and tweeters, plus the new Alpine Type R's in the rear. Now to decide on another amp and subwoofer.

Here's the rest of the pictures from this weekends efforts:

Getting started on the left rear passenger door.


Close up of the RAAMmat on the inside of the door panel.


Left rear passenger door. RAAMmat stuck to the inside of the door.


Plastic signs trimmed to fit and covering up the large holes in the door.


Left rear passenger door with RAAMmat in various places. I was just about out of it and to be selective on where I placed it.


Left rear passenger is done!


I added some Ensolite to the inside of the door panel for good measure. It's the black material.


Starting on the right front passenger door. The plastic weather piece is already stripped off and I've placed RAAMmat inside the door on the inner panel.


I had to buy some more plastic signs to fill the rather large holes in the door before I could lay down the RAAMmat on this side of the door panel. Figuring out what size they needed to be.


Signs all in place held by small sheet metal screws. Now I can lay the RAAMmat onto of everything and seal them up.


RAAMmat covering everything! Next is the Ensolite.


Right front passenger door is done! Tweeter mounted in the plastic panel near the mirror. New Kicker speaker mounted in the door along with the crossover.


Getting started on the right rear passenger door.


More inexpensive plastic signs to cover the holes with. Then I put the RAAMmat and Ensolite in layers on the door.


Right rear passenger door is done!
__________________
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
 
Herbicidal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Roseville, CA - USA.
Posts: 450
As mentioned in my 'do I need another amp?' thread, I have ordered the Eclipse mono channel amp, Alpine Type R 10" subwoofer and an enclosure. Now I need to pick up some 4 gauge wire (power and ground), another fuse block, firewall grommet and a few other odds and ends. Now I'm motivated to get the trunk lined with Ensolite to provide a nice snug home for the new subwoofer. I'm so glad to be done with the doors!!!!

OK, I thought the 'Danger High Voltage' signs in the right front passenger door was funny, even if they will never be seen again! Even my daughter laughed!

Did I mention I'm glad to be done with the doors???
__________________
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Did I mention I'm glad to be done with the doors???
Something I really like about the doors after deadening is (and just for key-less entry) that when you lock / unlock your car with the remote, you can barely hear the noise of the system, standing next to your car...

give it a try!.




__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
 
Herbicidal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Roseville, CA - USA.
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Something I really like about the doors after deadening is (and just for key-less entry) that when you lock / unlock your car with the remote, you can barely hear the noise of the system, standing next to your car...

give it a try!.



Yup! You are right. Just a little 'snick, snick'.

My parts arrived yesterday! Ohhhh yaaaa! I stopped by Fry's Electronics on my way home from work and picked up an amp install kit that has 4 gauge wires for power and ground, speaker wire, remote turn on wire for the amp, plus all the little stuff that comes with the kit. I also spent $20 and bought a Monster 3-way slim line distribution block (will accept 4 gauge wire) that connects to the battery. I'll use two of the three openings for the power wires to both amps. This leaves me one for whatever floats my boat down the road. I still need to pick up a rubber grommet for the firewall as this time I think I will drill a hole next to the A/C vent drain plug hole that I used for the last power wire. Hopefully this weekend I can start running the wires, etc.

By the way, with the subwoofer enclosure, is there a "right way" to position it?
__________________
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky
 
talnlnky's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 liftback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, Wa
Posts: 1,412
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
By the way, with the subwoofer enclosure, is there a "right way" to position it?

usually facing it toward the rear of the car will give you the most bass.
__________________
talnlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
 
Herbicidal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Roseville, CA - USA.
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
My parts arrived yesterday! Ohhhh yaaaa! I stopped by Fry's Electronics on my way home from work and picked up an amp install kit that has 4 gauge wires for power and ground, speaker wire, remote turn on wire for the amp, plus all the little stuff that comes with the kit. I also spent $20 and bought a Monster 3-way slim line distribution block (will accept 4 gauge wire) that connects to the battery. I'll use two of the three openings for the power wires to both amps. This leaves me one for whatever floats my boat down the road. I still need to pick up a rubber grommet for the firewall as this time I think I will drill a hole next to the A/C vent drain plug hole that I used for the last power wire. Hopefully this weekend I can start running the wires, etc.
In case you haven't been following my thread about whether I need another amp to power a subwoofer, here's an update on what I've done since the new equipment arrived from Sonic Electronics. For others, this will be a repeat of the info, sorry about that. Just trying to keep some continuity. By the way, I ended up returning that Monster slim-line power block. It wasn't slim enough. With it on the positive battery post, the battery cable would not fit on correctly, so I took it back. I was able to attach the power wire for the second amp to an existing accessories 'tab' on the cable.

Here's my most recent set of pictures. As I mentioned before, the install went pretty smooth, just time consuming to do a ‘clean’ install. I used an air powered cut off wheel to remove the jack bracket under the driver’s seat and the jack does fit snugly in the spare tire compartment. I had to place a piece of 2x4 under each amp to get a level mounting spot because of a funky space between some horizontal body supports. This made it easier to connect up the wiring. I figure this allows the air to flow partially underneath and will help with the overall cooling of the amp. I’m still experimenting with placement of the subwoofer box in the trunk. Laying it flat with the sub pointing to the rear of the car takes up the most room, but standing it up and rotating it 90 degrees gives me the most space in the trunk and puts the weight closer to being over the rear axle. Anyway, I’m still playing with the positioning for sound and space maximization of the sub.

Without further ado:

Eclipse XA1200 mono channel amp.


Alpine Type R 10" sub.


Alpine Type R 10" sub, top view.


Alpine Type R 10" sub, connectors. I used the jumpers to set it up for 2 ohms.


10" vented sub enclosure from Sonic Electronix.


Alpine Type R 10" sub-in-the-box.


Preparing for surgery. That car jack mounting bracket has to go!


Where the bracket for mounting the car jack was, under the drivers seat. Needed to make room for the other amp.


The blue wire is 4 gauge for power to the subwoofer amp. The black tube is the A/C breather that vents to the outside of the firewall.


4 gauge power wires through the firewall passenger foot well red for the speaker amp, blue for the subwoofer amp.


Eclipse mono channel subwoofer amp on the left, Eclipse 4 channel amp for the speakers on the right.


Alpine Type R 10" sub in a box. I'm still trying different locations and positions so the wiring isn't finalized yet.
__________________
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 7 09-20-2023 07:50 AM
Yaris Sedan Deadening and Sound system upgrade derickveliz2 In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 2992 11-18-2021 02:14 AM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
Rines 15 Yaris Sedan 2008 Marko_ec Central and South America 4 12-15-2008 03:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.