Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro
 
Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Monroe, NJ
Posts: 148
It's bad enough that Yaris has a "4 1/2" gear with a marginal drop from 4th to 5th, the last thing I need is to be pulling even more RPM's at 75 MPH...

...no thanks.
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
It's bad enough that Yaris has a "4 1/2" gear with a marginal drop from 4th to 5th, the last thing I need is to be pulling even more RPM's at 75 MPH...

...no thanks.
I hear you, I'd be tempted to go the other way, or even find a 6 speed box that could help turn the revs down.

But then again, I am not going to race it.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar
 
Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Debary, FL
Posts: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I hear you, I'd be tempted to go the other way, or even find a 6 speed box that could help turn the revs down.

But then again, I am not going to race it.
A 6spd would actually do the opposite. A 6spd is essentially a close-ratio gear box, and 6th gear is only fractionally taller than 5th in a 5spd. And in nearly every case Toyota has outfitted the 6spd with a shorter final drive, which actually means you are spinning the engine more with the 6spd.

If you want to drop your revs put on some taller tires, or drive slower.
__________________
2005-2008 SCCA Solo BS National Champion
2017-2018 SCCA H Prod National Champion
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yaris Motor Swap Thread *Read before posting swap threads* Sabretooth Performance Modifications 219 06-10-2025 02:58 PM
TRD final drive hare Performance Modifications 10 01-15-2010 12:19 PM
Final Drive t0m4s Performance Modifications 17 04-11-2009 03:16 PM
Final Drive t0m4s Central and South America 0 04-07-2009 06:06 PM
final drive rx100 Performance Modifications 2 08-21-2007 01:26 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.