Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Infinity Kappas & JL W7 listed as "Best"? Yeah...you people watch too much Unique Whips.

That Focal 21 wx is a nice woofer. I'm an Illusion Audio fan though, those ND woofers are very nice. Regardless...using the term "best" shows a lack of real knowledge. I understand that biases are out there but really, smugly white-washing the entire audio industry with JL Audio W7s are "the best" is just ludicrous.

I can confidently say that the Kappas are NOT known as a "premium" brand. The Kappa Perfects BARELY make it happen and are NOT the best bang for the buck especially compared to the Alpine SPX177r. I'd be happy to go round and round with a comparison between the two...and the SPX's are a high end bargain brand.

They are nice, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying Chevrolet's vehicles are "the best". Oooooh boy! That's a bandwagon over there to jump on.

You want exotic? Look at Focal, Hybrid Audio, Rainbow, KEF, Morel, Alpine's "Z" components (Scan Speak Revalators)...there are MANY more that I don't have the time to mention.

The main reason for good sounding speakers is the installation and engineering/planning of the installation.
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
magoo_lc1
 
Drives: honda civic hatch
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: missouri
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Infinity Kappas & JL W7 listed as "Best"? Yeah...you people watch too much Unique Whips.

That Focal 21 wx is a nice woofer. I'm an Illusion Audio fan though, those ND woofers are very nice. Regardless...using the term "best" shows a lack of real knowledge. I understand that biases are out there but really, smugly white-washing the entire audio industry with JL Audio W7s are "the best" is just ludicrous.

I can confidently say that the Kappas are NOT known as a "premium" brand. The Kappa Perfects BARELY make it happen and are NOT the best bang for the buck especially compared to the Alpine SPX177r. I'd be happy to go round and round with a comparison between the two...and the SPX's are a high end bargain brand.

They are nice, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying Chevrolet's vehicles are "the best". Oooooh boy! That's a bandwagon over there to jump on.

You want exotic? Look at Focal, Hybrid Audio, Rainbow, KEF, Morel, Alpine's "Z" components (Scan Speak Revalators)...there are MANY more that I don't have the time to mention.

The main reason for good sounding speakers is the installation and engineering/planning of the installation.

Good info but im sure hi-end is not on the list here. Go to a stereo shop and just tell them your needs. Stick with the decent brands most of us know, like eclipse, alpine, rockford, and i have heard some decent sounding kenwood and memphis stuff.

As far as THE BEST i honestly dont think one company does not make the best. I competed in sound quality for years and have ran focal. I thnk they have a dull muffled sound myself. I have a great ear for this and have used a rta to prove my point. I dont like the roll off they have. Scan -speak i was really surprised to see on you list. I ran them in a car back in the early 90s.

The best setup i had was a scan speak 3 inch silk dome with a 8 inch dyna audio made into a custom ensclosure. The 8 was my mid bass built into custom enclosure into the kick panel It was in a merceades it had bunches of room. I also played around with subs from b/w, morel, dyna, celestion and settled on servo driven velodyne. It was in a custom enclosure in the front of the center console. Total sounstage was up front. This was all on monolithic amps and custom built by me on passive crossovers. It was all ran by a good ole alpine 7909 with the radio taken apart, with a 800 dollar pure silver three foot interconnect hand soldered with sivler solder into the circut board so i would not loose sound quality going through the rca inputs.

I have been the test mule for the image dynamic horns. I had image studio quality third octave eq etc etc. The best has never been made. I was world champ in my power clasee 0-150w for 6 years from 1990-1995.

Get a budget and spend some time in a listeing room.
__________________
91 SE-R. R.I.P old freind

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiberglass enclosure / Stereo system bugnuts In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 30 05-20-2007 12:11 PM
Immobilize and security system. Meow In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 19 04-18-2007 05:40 PM
Reviews of Weapon*R Intake system.. WRLEO Performance Modifications 6 02-20-2007 10:12 PM
My Sound System mhero In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 0 09-18-2006 11:50 PM
Question about Toyota's shipping system Goose New YARIS Purchase Forum 4 04-30-2006 11:03 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.