Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz
 
Kioshi's Avatar
 
Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
The stuff that tourists do and the stuff that people who actually live here do are so fundamentally different that some of us won't be able to offer much. Tourists are mostly here for the fake fantasy world that the resorts promote - beaches, golf courses, expensive boutiques, touristy restaurants, ziplines, waterfalls, and other assorted touristy things. Occasionally there are those who like to take the road less travelled and see something different.

The volcano park should be your first destination. Steaming holes in the ground are always fun, but hopefully you'll visit some of the more out-of-the-way parts of it as well.

If you want a quick rundown of first choices for scenic vistas and checking out the scope of the island: Saddle Road, Mauna Loa Access Road (north slope), Mauna Loa Strip Road (south slope), "Kohala Mountain Road", Pololu Valley overlook, the entire highway through Ka'u district. (4-wheel-drive opens up some other interesting possiblities, but costs big $$$.) Branch out from there. Be sure to check out the lava visiting situation, which changes daily and hasn't been really good recently. If you are on this island you should be all over the mountains!

There are now direct flights into Hilo from LA.

Hopefully you will slip in before the autumn rainy season, which is usually around November.

I can say that I have a strong dislike for Kailua (Kona), Waimea/Kamuela and the surrounding area. We call it Konafornia...and spit on ground!
I'm all in for doing what non-tourist people do. I try to do whatever locals do wherever i travel abroad :)

What do you mean by, "out of the way parts"? of the volcano? like a different route that leads elsewhere?

I do want to do kayaking and ziplining. I can't swim for shit, so snorkling is out of the question for (ME).

I'm coordinating with my friends now about traversing the mountain areas. Can we take ATVs on some of the mountainous roads?

I will jot down the names you provided, THANK YOU!

I too am hoping it wont rain when we are there. Is it humid over there? Not that I mind, I've walked several miles in rain + humidy.....

hahahahah, thats funny.

You provided lots of information for our trip, thank you once again!
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
October 31st Sunday Mosport DDT Lapping event, 20th event of 2010! Touge.ca Canada 0 10-19-2010 01:30 AM
October 23rd Cayuga TMP track lapping event, 2010 18th Touge.ca event! Touge.ca Canada 0 10-19-2010 01:29 AM
October 10th Sunday Mosport DDT Lapping event, 16th event of 2010! Touge.ca Canada 4 09-30-2010 10:53 PM
Salt ? On My Yaris ? mid October ? it's more likely than you think... 127.0.0.1 General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 14 10-20-2009 11:12 PM
stock mid pip (cats/resonator piece) WTB!!! shinlee Willing to Buy by private party 1 02-08-2009 10:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.