Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
sambo42xa
 
Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern NH- USA
Posts: 144
My 2007 (99k) is pretty much doing the same thing. Only differance: car is running at idle and the battery light flutters not to the point it goes out. While running I remove either battery cable or even both and the battery light stays on and does not flutter (car is still running). Put the cable/s back on and the light flutters again.
With car off I removed the battery cable off of the alternator and cleaned the connection since it did have a little bit of corrosion. The pin plug I removed also but did not see any corrosion. Output on alternator was around 13.8 and the same at the battery. No change after cleaning connection.
From what I have read here, it seems you folks are steering more towards the alternator (internals) than the battery. No problems starting car so I'm pretty sure the battery is fine (13.8 volts). Everything else works fine. Are there any readings on the pins I can check or are we 99.9% sure it is the alternator?
I'm good with mechanics and I'll check/test whatever.
Thnx in advance!
sambo
__________________
sambo42xa
sambo42xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
My 2007 (99k) is pretty much doing the same thing. Only differance: car is running at idle and the battery light flutters not to the point it goes out. While running I remove either battery cable or even both and the battery light stays on and does not flutter (car is still running). Put the cable/s back on and the light flutters again.
With car off I removed the battery cable off of the alternator and cleaned the connection since it did have a little bit of corrosion. The pin plug I removed also but did not see any corrosion. Output on alternator was around 13.8 and the same at the battery. No change after cleaning connection.
From what I have read here, it seems you folks are steering more towards the alternator (internals) than the battery. No problems starting car so I'm pretty sure the battery is fine (13.8 volts). Everything else works fine. Are there any readings on the pins I can check or are we 99.9% sure it is the alternator?
I'm good with mechanics and I'll check/test whatever.
Thnx in advance!
sambo
The blue wire on the multi pin connector on the alternator is the output to the cluster that drives the indicator. The service manual says that the normal operating range is 11 to 14 volts, so you could measure the voltage on that wire to see if it is fluctuating. The pink wire is a signal to the ECM and AC ECU. Based on the output of this signal, the ECM can tell the cluster to also light the indicator.

There is a TSB for 07 Yaris about a potential internal corrosion issue of the voltage regulator, which can cause the behavior that your are seeing, without actual charging issues.
__________________
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
sambo42xa
 
Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern NH- USA
Posts: 144
CTScott- I was just informed this evening from my wife that the Battery Light went out. Though she didn't notice if it was out when she started the car or if it went out while driving.....either way I will take reading/s off of these pins tomorrow and see what I come up with so I know for myself what to look for next time. And this willl help for Others on the forum which is what it's all about, right?
.......too be continued...........
thnx, sambo
southern, nh
30* with intermittent clouds
__________________
sambo42xa
sambo42xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keep your vehicle protected! sqcomp In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 17 09-10-2009 02:02 AM
Day time Running light....how to disable? Polar_Yaris DIY / Maintenance / Service 33 01-27-2009 06:02 PM
6lb 6oz ultra light weight battery heavystarch Performance Modifications 28 11-19-2008 06:02 PM
Check engine light flashes during high reving AlphaFox DIY / Maintenance / Service 40 08-21-2007 01:43 PM
Reverse light vs Rear Fog light cooldavidko General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 3 01-03-2007 03:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.