Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Type456
 
Drives: Like the Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
$6K is actually a good price for a low mileage Yaris. The Yaris is about 10 years newer than the Honda would be, so you would likely have a bit more reliable of a vehicle if you went with the Yaris.
I haven't come across any one owner Yaris with that mileage in that price range. I'm sure they're out there, but in my area anything under $7K is around 100K+ miles or is an ex rental fleet car.

How durable/reliable is the automatic transmission in a Yaris?
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE
 
CTScott's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA, CT
Posts: 13,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type456 View Post
I haven't come across any one owner Yaris with that mileage in that price range. I'm sure they're out there, but in my area anything under $7K is around 100K+ miles or is an ex rental fleet car.

How durable/reliable is the automatic transmission in a Yaris?
The AT in the Yaris seems to be solid. The only failure I have seen/heard of thus far was one on a Yaris which had been totaled in its prior life, rebuilt and shipped overseas to an unsuspecting buyer.
__________________
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Type456
 
Drives: Like the Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The AT in the Yaris seems to be solid. The only failure I have seen/heard of thus far was one on a Yaris which had been totaled in its prior life, rebuilt and shipped overseas to an unsuspecting buyer.
That's good to hear. From what I've read it seems pretty reliable. I know it'll vary based on driving conditions, but I wonder what the life expectancy is for the auto.
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator
 
kimona's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huntington Bch, CA
Posts: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type456 View Post
That's good to hear. From what I've read it seems pretty reliable. I know it'll vary based on driving conditions, but I wonder what the life expectancy is for the auto.
Never heard of any problems with the automatic since I've been on this forum. On a personal note, I think the Yaris 4 speed automatic is a brilliant piece of work... absolutely the best automatic I have ever driven; in fact, I like it better than the 6 speed auto in my newer Camry!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
jack black
 
jack black's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: southeast USA
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I think the Yaris 4 speed automatic is a brilliant piece of work... absolutely the best automatic I have ever driven; in fact, I like it better than the 6 speed auto in my newer Camry!
I wonder why you say this?
I don't doubt it, but curious.
BTW, I like your avatar.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator
 
kimona's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huntington Bch, CA
Posts: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
I wonder why you say this?
I don't doubt it, but curious.
BTW, I like your avatar.
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
Klink10
 
Klink10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 910
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
Throw in a throttle controller and add a little sport. I don't regret my choice for automatic at all.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
jack black
 
jack black's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: southeast USA
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
I hear you. When I drive my 07 AT Yaris, one thing that is very different from similar cars with AT is how the tranny shifts up or down only when absolutely needed and not more. Few downshifts when gas pedal is pressed moderately. It actually reminds me old style hydraulic logic AT action when gear depended solely on speed, unless one pressed gas to the max and then it would downshift. I'm thinking this is limiting unnecessary shifts for durability. When I dropped the pan to replace fluid and filter at 66,000 miles, there was little clutch debris in the Yaris AT's pan. Small fraction comparing to Corolla when I did a similar service at 60,000 miles. Now, there are some technologic differences that can additionally account for the debris difference in Yaris:
Throttle by wire
Full flow AT filter
WS synthetic fluid
etc.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar
 
Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
Does your Yaris have a tach? I don't know if I would have had a markedly different experience driving a 2013 LE 4-speed Auto rental this week, but having a tach would have been nice .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 5dr LE (deceased), 13 Soul
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type456 View Post
That's good to hear. From what I've read it seems pretty reliable. I know it'll vary based on driving conditions, but I wonder what the life expectancy is for the auto.
On the road since November 2005, 203,000km, one fluid change, still feels and performs like new.
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
Type456
 
Drives: Like the Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
On the road since November 2005, 203,000km, one fluid change, still feels and performs like new.
Good to hear!
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
jack black
 
jack black's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: southeast USA
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type456 View Post
I haven't come across any one owner Yaris with that mileage in that price range. I'm sure they're out there, but in my area anything under $7K is around 100K+ miles or is an ex rental fleet car.
Didn't you say you found one at $6k range?
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
Type456
 
Drives: Like the Yaris
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
Didn't you say you found one at $6k range?
Yep, the one I found is a one owner car for $6K with only 49K miles. I was referring to the area inventory of cars; any Yaris in the $7K and under range has around 100K miles.
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.