Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari
I don't know how deep or interlinked databases are in the States, but up here, a cop following you on the road can be running your plate and know instantly if you are insured.
|
When I got my DL in Texas, they took my California DL and told me they would send it to the California DMV/make sure my California DL was canceled. I continued to get Jury Duty cards from my old county in California. Each time the rep on the phone would tell me where to go on the website to enter that I was no longer a resident of California, but wouldn't give me any other information. The last time this happened was during this current visit to California. This time the person on the phone at the 'jury duty office' asked me if I remembered my former California DL number. I gave it to her. She asked me to hold. She returned and told me that the State of California still had my DL as active

, and that I needed to fill out DMV paperwork to rectify this. AAA Auto Club takes care of some DMV functions in California, so I stopped at their nearest office. I talked to a really sharp rep there who has lived in different states. He said that what the DL people in Texas said wasn't true, and that there is no database that links the different states, that the different states can choose to run an NDR***** check but the NDR is a federal system, so don't believe any state department handling DLs if they say they will take care of canceling your DL in your previous state. AAA Auto Club didn't handle the DMV function for my particular need, so this AAA rep directed me to the local DMV office. I waited in line and then explained the situation. I was given a voluntary surrender of DL form and told to sign that form. I signed it and started to fill out the reason in the box dedicated to that purpose. I wrote a couple of words and the rep then ripped the form out of my hands, telling me that she told me only to sign it and that she would fill in the reason

. She agreed to make me a copy with the incomplete reason, but wouldn't let me fill out the reason

. I was a bit worried about what the snippy clerk might enter as a reason. A week or so later, I encountered 3 on duty police officers outside a Starbucks in the same area. I asked them about all of this. They chuckled and told me to truly not worry about my concern that records would show that I inadvertently, now in the past, had a DL in two different states and that the 'reason box' might not contain the proper explanation.
***** - the NDR is the National Driving Record. When I applied for my Texas DL, Texas ran my info through the NDR and got a flag. The NDR = making sure criminals trying to get a DL in another state are thwarted. There is a criminal in New Jersey who has my same name and height and month and year of birth, but was born on a different day and has different color eyes. The information was similar enough to cause the flag. I had to send a bunch of my information to officials in New Jersey, wait while they investigated to conclude I wasn't the criminal, and then wait for a letter from the appropriate agency in New Jersey to prove that I wasn't this criminal. That letter satisfied Texas officials, and I got my Texas DL.