Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
scarsofcarma

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo
HALTECH Connected

So I got the Haltech communicating with the laptop. The trick was buying a USB cable direct from Haltech. Don't ask me why that mattered, but apparently it does.

The Haltech ESP interface looks something like this...

Obviously there's a lot going on with this. There is as much access to every control, input or output to run this standalone that I could ever hope for. It will take a while to fully understand its capabilities. The first thing I checked was DTC codes. The Haltech does store them like a regular OEM ECU. I had nothing 'Current' for drive by wire but I did have some listed as 'Past'.

So I brought up the live data for the pedal and watched the sweep. Haltech makes it very convenient how to observe the live data. There are several options. You can do Gauges (Like I did here) or bar graphs, data-plots, whatever suites your fancy. As an additional option, you can also select different units of measurement. (Fahrenheit instead of Celcius, etc.)

Here is the LAMBDA MAP (The little blue circle tells you where the engine is at while its idling)

Here is the IGNITION MAP

Here is the FUEL LOAD MAP

Here is the INTAKE CAM CONTROL MAP

The Haltech also allows you to do DATA LOGGING while the laptop is disconnected. So you can go drive it, do some laps on the track or whatever, and hook it back up to observe what it recorded later which is very convenient. It can also 'back up' and observe the past data before a DTC code is set, after it is set, so you can figure out what the running conditions were prior to setting a DTC. (As many expensive aftermarket scan tools can also do with an OEM ECU)

What I intend to do next is go do some test drives with my roommate in the passenger seat watching the live data while I drive. If there is an issue we can see in the data with the drive by wire, we should be able to record it as a snapshot. (This is basically the same stuff I do as a dealership technician with a factory scan tool.)

Yesterday I took a 9 hour road trip in the Yaris to go visit Road Atlanta Motorsports Park in Georgia. There were a few occasions during that drive that I could feel something funky going on with the DBW, but thankfully nothing that locked up the pedal completely or forced me to pull over and do a shutdown-restart. The real question at this point is which component specifically is malfunctioning. The pedal or the throttle body?
scarsofcarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarsofcarma View Post
So I got the Haltech communicating with the laptop. The trick was buying a USB cable direct from Haltech. Don't ask me why that mattered, but apparently it does.
I would guess that they've done something silly with their communication protocol and have to use a specific chip to interface with the ECU. I had the opposite situation with my UHF handheld radio where I bought a USB interface cable that had an off-brand RS232 chip and required disassembling it to find the make/model number so that I could download drivers for it from their (entirely in Mandarin) website. I've also had issues at work where someone who didn't understand how a communication protocol worked developed their own unique interpretation that will only work with their homebrewed software and doesn't work with most hardware.

Could be deliberate to keep counterfeits from messing things up, could be someone didn't know what they were doing when they cooked it up in the R&D department.

I'm afraid I don't have any feedback on the DBW issues, despite having read the report on the "unintended acceleration" issues that came up about a decade ago.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote