![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#1 | |
![]() ![]() |
Quote:
And some turbos have more lag than others, no one turbo design is the same as another. Do some research and you'll find the one for you.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!
Drives: Lagann. ;P Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: My own little world.
Posts: 717
|
I'd much rather have the supercharger anyway. I like to bolt off the line, and it'd be even cooler in such a dinky car.
![]() Honestly, I never have a need to run more than 75mph, and I'm sure it'll do that just fine without a turbo. Not like I'm gonna' be racin' for pink slips or anything! ~YR
__________________
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Only Happy When it Rains
|
200 whp. Man that would be tempting.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
![]() ![]() |
Yeah, it is tempting. The only issue i have with their kit right now is the fact its still unreliable. Once they get it tuned and see how the afr is and everything, i might feel better. Relying on a learning ecu isn't exactly the best reliable way, but so far they have impressed me.
On the yaris, 200whp would be an incredable amount of power, power to weight would be right around 10.5-11 (without actually doing the ratio figures), which is enough to put the yaris in the high 12's with a proper driver and swapping the gears, with the stock gears you could easily do low 13's. You wouldn't need that much power for autocross and road course's, but yeah. Definitely something to consider. |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Podiatrist
Drives: Turbo IS300 Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 83
|
Honestly, ever supercharged car I've ever worked on I have never liked.
I would never go with a supercharger. Nowadays, they've been far surpassed by turbo technology. A turbo'd car is tons more fun to drive and much much more versatile for power adjustment. Hitting 140rwhp would be unreasonable for 3500. You could run nitrous for 1k and do the same. |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Yarii Hunter
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 437
|
Quote:
Yup. Superchargers run off the engine, sapping power and have to USE a LOT OF STEPPER gears to get NEAR 50,000 rpm.. TURBOS run off UNUSED EXHAUST GAS, which is UP TO 70% of the energy of the Air/Fuel Explosion...and can easily spool to 80,000+... superchargers are kinda nice on s2000s since they rev to 9K...but not on yaris. 3500 and only 40 whp gain? NOS would be much more efficient. Though, the new Blitz Vitz superchager can be turned completely off..that's not bad for fuel efficiency, either.
__________________
Thanks for all the help over the years, YarisWorld!!!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 | |
|
Podiatrist
Drives: Turbo IS300 Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 83
|
Quote:
40whp gain sucks. Not worth the money. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl) Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 159
|
A newb comment but turbos sound better too =D
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
|
Podiatrist
Drives: Turbo IS300 Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 83
|
Quote:
whirrr whirrr whirrr...belt slippage and stuff. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA, USA
Posts: 244
|
i personally like both, but turbos are easier to fix and expand upon.... if you have a supercharger and want more boost, you have to buy another supercharger(the whole setup)... if you have a turbo and want more, you can either rebuild the turbo for more boost or buy a bigger turbo..but a new turbo(just the turbo) is alot cheaper than a new supercharger.... and being that most of us won't be running a whole lot of boost, you can get some of the smaller turbos that will spool very fast and barely have any turbo lag... superchargers however will always rob power
__________________
'07 Yaris Liftback -Red 5spd w/convenience |
|
|
|
|
|
#12 | |
|
Podiatrist
Drives: Turbo IS300 Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 83
|
Quote:
If you have a supercharger and want more boost, you can change the supercharger's drive pulley to a smaller one. You just have to make sure you don't boost past what is recommended for the compressor unit. Pulley size determines boost. For a turbo you simply control boost with a boost control. You can go up and down whenever you want. There is no need to rebuild a turbo. I run my turbo anywhere from 6-15 psi...and I can change that when I'm in the car, whenever I want. New turbo technology reduces turbo lag significantly. My current turbo is dual ball bear, water and oil cooled. Spins so damn easily that after you shut the car off the turbine wheel will still be spinning. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA, USA
Posts: 244
|
Quote:
__________________
'07 Yaris Liftback -Red 5spd w/convenience |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Around the universe...
Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 228
|
All of this turbo vs supercharger nonsense really is irrelevant until someone ponies up the dough and courage to do up their 1NZ-FE...
I'm so sick of all of these threads with all the know-it-alls doing virtual speculation without any real-world testing specifically on a Yaris powertrain... |
|
|
|
|
|
#15 | |
|
Podiatrist
Drives: Turbo IS300 Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 83
|
Quote:
Though I don't necessarily think I'm talking out my ass. I've done numerous builds with both superchargers and turbo's and I don't think the differences I've seen were because of motor or drivetrain. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#16 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package Join Date: May 2006
Location: Barrie, ontario
Posts: 852
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#17 | |
|
Around the universe...
Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 228
|
Quote:
Cheers |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#18 |
|
好多人&
Drives: . Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 264
|
I've driven a Blitz S/C Echo (1st model) .. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. :) Had a few issues but nothing major that hindered performance.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Vitz RS TRD Racing | jdgriswald | General Yaris / Vitz Discussion | 12 | 05-13-2010 02:53 AM |
| Toyota's Yaris TRD | VitzBoy | General Yaris / Vitz Discussion | 10 | 07-24-2006 08:10 PM |