Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Jodienda

Drives: yaris liftback
Adding an amplifier to factory headunit (did search)

Hello everyone,

I did a search on the forums and couldn't find the exact answer I needed. I noticed that most people who add aftermarket amplifiers to the factory head unit are using line level converters and splicing into the factory speaker wires. I wanted to take a different approach and not cut into any of the factory wiring in my Yaris. I found this and was wondering it it would work in the 2007 yaris hatchback: http://www.scosche.com/scosche_carau...8&ItemID=TA03B

I was watching diy network the other day and the guy installed an amp to a factory head unit by using two "pigtails" that actually fit into the factory head unit. He wired the line level converter to one of the pigtails, and then wired that pigtail another pigtail that was plugged into the head unit. Finally, he wired the factory harness into the pigtail end that wasn't connected to the head unit. Anyone know where to find these by chance?

Oh, I bought my car about a month and a half ago due to having a new job where I commute 100 miles a day. With less than 3000 miles on it, I'm getting a steady 38 miles/ gallon with 80% highway/20% city. I drive 70mph on the highway. It's a bayou blue HB 5 speed manual, with the power package (60/40 split seat, rear defroster, power windows/mirrors) and the all weather package. Unfortunately, my area didn't have any like that with the alloy wheels so i'm rockin' the steelies for now :(.

Thanks!
Jodienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Where at in VA, NOVA?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Jodienda

Williamsburg but I consider Yorktown my home.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Cool, I am on the other end of I-64 where it meets I-81. Is anything going on in Williamsburg worth seeing in the next couple of weeks?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Jodienda

Heeeeeeeeck no. Unless you like seeing a bunch of retired folks and tourists everywhere, then no. We do have Busch Gardens though :)
Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YARIS...26003420QQrdZ1
This should work too.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
why dont you just get an amp with high level inputs? whats the big deal about cutting the rear speaker wires, its not like anyone will know...
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
DollaZo

Drives: Toyota Yaris YRS
Some hi to lo level converters might have a separate sub channel output and it can act as a pre-amp. I do recomend a LC6, if your using a stock head unit.

I paid AU$300 and was well worth it, now when I need to increase my bass I use the controller that you can get that controlls the sub alone.

Getting a line converter in my opinion can only be an advantage...
DollaZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Just do the line output convereter. Thats what I did with my old car, but the only bad part about adding and amp and subs is that the stack cd player has a cut off I think and when you turn it up to get more bass the subs will not get full power like they would a different head unit.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I like that adapter. Makes for a clean installation. Also If you sell the car, just unhook the adapter and remove the amp. You still need to run new wire to your new speakers, so you will be cutting some speaker wires at some point. I have an amp that came with only one high/low converter. Does that Scosche thing come with the 4 channel converter too? If so that is a sweet deal!

I'm looking for a Scion head unit from the 2008 models. They supposedly have RCA jacks right off the back of the unit. It will slide right in and look factory.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote