Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
R35 GTR for 2010 to get some revisions.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/131...aunch-control/

You read that headline right. Nissan will be removing the launch control function for 2010 model R35 GT-Rs, citing warranty issues as the main reason behind the decision. The bad publicity from busted gearboxes hardly helped the new GT-Rs cause. Looks like rumours the Australian model would be missing out on LC were spot on.

A top-level Nissan executive confirmed the news:

“It’s gone. We just don’t want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It’ll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It’ll be the only R35 with launch control.”

We’re expecting that a revision to the GT-Rs 0-100km/h time will be in order.

Dropping the launch control will also ensure owners do not unnecessarily disable the Vehicle Dynamics Control system (a must for using launch control and a key point in Nissan’s voiding of warranties on damaged transmissions). According to Nissan, VDC should only be disabled to rock the car back and forth in low traction conditions such as snow and mud.

In addition, Nissan has also detailed additional changes to the upcoming Series II R35 GT-R. Prices will jump by ten percent (not five as previously reported), brake hose stiffness will be increased, and there’s a wheel colour change in the works.

The price of the premium silver paint (Ultimate Silver) will rise around AUD$890, and Nissan has confirmed that the white paint scheme will be shared with the upcoming 370Z (some confusion surrounds the naming but Brilliant Pearl White looks to be accurate). Further more, the Black edition GT-R will now receive Dunlop tyres with Bridgestones as an option.

Rumored but unconfirmed changes include European suspension fitted to the Japanese model, iPod adaptor and MFD functions from the US version to be added to the Japanese version, and Circuit mode enabled for more locations.

Despite the lack of the launch-control the GT-R will still be a force to reckoned with, but if the removal of this function is more about protecting a potentially weak gearbox then we’d like to see Nissan addressing this issue directly. How a business handles itself when something “ain’t quite right” can be just as important as the products it puts out.

Thoughts?

It also looks like the GTR Spec V will not be coming to the States.

Again, sorry if this is old news or already been reposted.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
A little confused. The current launch control is fine, but how do they know the future one's will already have problems? If there hasn't been a recall over it, then it should be fine for next year too, right?

It doesn't really bother me that the V-Spec won't be coming here. A few mods on the current one should even things out nicely

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
NUUUUU MY VSPEC.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
A little confused. The current launch control is fine, but how do they know the future one's will already have problems? If there hasn't been a recall over it, then it should be fine for next year too, right?

It doesn't really bother me that the V-Spec won't be coming here. A few mods on the current one should even things out nicely
Essentially, launch control was a a computer dynamic that allowed you to unleash the whole car, all-out. It just so happens that the transmission is too weak for the force the motor puts out, and self-destructs if not restrained. Nissan's solution to controlling the tranny-bombs is to limit the power-curve delivered to the transmission, not actually beefing up the tranny like they should.

There's a reason the Corvette has done so well...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
if it does i heard it'll be over a hundred grand sticker plus that dealer markup. ive seen other forums where mommy and daddy spent 90k on a mid seventies(something like that) car....
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Essentially, launch control was a a computer dynamic that allowed you to unleash the whole car, all-out. It just so happens that the transmission is too weak for the force the motor puts out, and self-destructs if not restrained. Nissan's solution to controlling the tranny-bombs is to limit the power-curve delivered to the transmission, not actually beefing up the tranny like they should.

There's a reason the Corvette has done so well...
Okay now I get what the article is saying, but wouldn't it be a good idea for Nissan to start recalling the current ones and get them fixed? Or should the owners not worry about it and risk getting stranded on the roadside because their trannies went to pieces before something is done (assuming there are for sure no problems just yet)?

What I'm trying to say is that next year's changes are a given, but what about THIS year? What about the GTRs already on the road? That's what Nissan should be thinking about more

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Warranty was denied to those owners because they disabled launch control (which the warranty is said to be void in the manual if the owner does do such a thing... but then why would they even implement it?) And due to the high-end carbon-fiber bits, the repair bill was over $20K, which Nissan refused to fix.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
What I understand is that Nissan was not honoring the warrenty on the transmission because using the launch control requires turning off the VDC, which apparently voids the warrenty.

Basically, Nissan designed in a self-destruct feature, and cleverly disguised it as a perfromance feature, which could only be used by voiding the warrenty. Pretty cool feature on a 100K "super" car if you ask me.

Kind of reminds me of Subaru includeing an SCCA membership with the WRX STI, and then voiding your warrenty if you used the car at an SCCA sactioned event.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote