Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Surprisingly good mileage..

I just got back from a 4400 mile road trip (Lompoc, California to Minot, North Dakota and back), and got 45MPG trip average . I'm ecstatic. We drove straight through, stopping only for food, gas, and pit stops; we had 3 people, plus luggage for a week, plus wedding gifts (way there only), and the A/C was on for most of the trip both ways.

Most of the highway driving was done at 75-80 miles per hour, and it took us almost exactly 32 hours to drive the 2100 miles there and the same back. My average speed, including stops was about 65 miles per hour.

Before the trip, I had guesstimated I would be getting 30-32mpg, due to the weight, A/C, and speed, so spending 50% less on gas was a really pleasant surprise.

On a side note, I only saw 2 other Yarii throughout the trip - one white 3 door hatch in Utah and one sedan in Nevada.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompanyXPaladin View Post

On a side note, I only saw 2 other Yarii throughout the trip - one white 3 door hatch in Utah and one sedan in Nevada.
On a recent trip to Fla. i saw 3 Yaris on the whole tripSeems like every one wants to pay the big bucks to drive huge gas guzzling behemoths
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Key word there is "recent". Recently gas prices have been low and as far as I know, spikes of high prices won't exactly scare people into smaller cars (unfortunately). Then there is all the other reasons why Americans love their large cars.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
Then there is all the other reasons why Americans love their large cars.
Probably they need big cars to park their fat butts,or in my brothers case a fully loaded gun rack loses some of its machismo when you take it out of the Pickup and try to put it in a Yaris
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
If you had stayed at 65 mph or less, I wonder what your gas mileage would have been.
Good to hear you got that great of a mileage figure with a loaded car.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
yarii are out there.... I just think most Yarii owners are smart enought NOT to want to do a 30+ hr trip through the desert wastelands like you did.... 8 Hours, with half being beatiful scenery is about my limit.

On a side note, yesterday the Fiance and I were heading for a camping spot, one that you park and hike 2.5 miles to get to... Well, we got there and decided the misquitos were way too thick... I've never seen so many, and suck aggressive bugs before. Bug spray did nothing.... long shirts did nothing.

So, we packed up, and went to the ocean instead. Grand total of about 7 hrs and over 300miles of driving... SCanguage said I got just under 47mpg total. I'm happy. Will try and fill the tank today and get the real results.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Let us know when you find your missing gas receipt.

kthx
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Let us know when you find your missing gas receipt.

kthx
Well, I got back on Wednesday morning. I knew I was missing two receipts because the gas pumps didn't print them out and there was no attendant available. What I did for those was write down the price of gas and number of gallons bought at the pump, and double check it against my bank charge. All gas was purchased using a debit card - no credit or cash. I waited a few days to make sure no charges showed up that I forgot about. I even remembered the 2.3 gallons my girlfriend's aunt topped us off with in Vegas.

It was a little foolish, I do admit, however, I feel that I was well prepared, with extra water, gas, coolant, serpentine belt, and tools. The original plan called for my girlfriend and I to switch off driving, and for one of us to sleep while the other drove, which is how we planned to fit the trip into our time constraints. She proved to not be up to driving as much as we had hoped, but we still made good time, while avoiding any mishaps.
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
thats great milage. my dad was stationed at vandenberg AFB when i was a kid i havent been out there in 15yrs.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote