Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
wheel weights

this may be a silly question, and i feel retarded asking. is there a website or something on the rim that tells me its weight? i bought some rims off craigslist cheap and they look great and i love 'em, but i think they're killing my gas mileage! i suppose i could take one off and put it on my bathroom scale... haha.

also, what are the criteria for having a lightweight wheel? like, what's the threshold? lol

thanks!!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
you might find the wheels you bought off craigslist on tirerack.com they list wheel weights

and imo anything 15lbs and under is lightweight. 10lbs and under is preferable but then you are getting into some expensive wheels. at least in my world.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
enobmort42
First time DIYer

i'll give it a shot... i have trouble getting good google results, even. strange. but i'm assuming that doesn't include the tires? lol
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
no that wouldn't include the tires. also i was just thinking i guess anything lighter than stock can pretty much be considered light weight in a way.

do you know the brand name of the wheels? model?

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
enobmort42
First time DIYer

all i know is the brand. they say volution on them, but my own googling also shows heico? is there a special place they put the model name/number? lol
Old 10-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
lunjiaow

Drives: Yaris
The tyre it self could be heavier then the rim. Also if the tyres are wide means more rolling resistance which in turn uses your gas milage. Guess you could try to inflate your tyres a bit higher.
lunjiaow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the wheel weight link: http://www.wheelweights.net/

another one: http://www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html

However also realize that size matters as well. The larger the wheel size, the more effort it takes to spin the wheels. I think it takes something like 4x the effort to spin the outside of the wheels than it does to spin the insides.

And lunjiaow is right. Tire weight is also extremely important. Thankfully most tire manufacturers now list weight on their websites.