Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
N2scouting

Drives: 2009 3DHB manual Black
15 or 16

I would like to buy some new wheels and tires.The tire has P185/60R15 written on the side wall. The outside diameter of the rim is 16 inches. Should I be shopping for a wheel that is 15 inches as stated on the tire or for a 16 inch wheel based on my measurement?
N2scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
15"

Also, the stock tires tend to be pretty poor. It might be worth saving for a completely new setup.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
The first number 185 is how wide the tire is, its foot print that it leaves on the road.
The second number, 60, is the sidewall, how tall the tire is, or how thick the tire is when you look at it from the side.
The last number 15, well that is how big the hole is, or how big the wheel has to be to fit the tire.
Are you going for looks, performance, mpgs, other.....?
I am torn myself. Before I was all in to performance and power. Since I bought the Yaris I love the miles per gallon that it returns. Its looks like I will be sticking with 15's.
PEACE
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
N2scouting

Drives: 2009 3DHB manual Black
I am going for looks. So much to choose from. i would like to stay under $100 per wheel. I have checked out discount tire and I saw a rew I liked.
N2scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
If it's just for looks, then I suppose that's subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In the end it comes down to what you want
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Before you decide, take into consideration your suspension setup and road conditions. Fenders on lowered ride heights and potholes on 50's aren't always your friend.

Just a heads-up

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2scouting View Post
I would like to buy some new wheels and tires.The tire has P185/60R15 written on the side wall. The outside diameter of the rim is 16 inches. Should I be shopping for a wheel that is 15 inches as stated on the tire or for a 16 inch wheel based on my measurement?
So if your shopping for new wheels AND tires then you can select a new size. 15" is stock but you can go 16, 17, or even 18 which most would not recommend. I'd go for 16's for overall practicality and improved looks over the 15's.

I'm not sure what you are asking really. Your referencing your current size as to what your new set should be when it really as nothing to do with it. It only matters if you were only getting new tires. In this case, 16" tires on 15" wheels would create a slight problem: death. (although air would never hold anyway to leave the shop).
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote