Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #19
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
I'm curious about lugging subtopic :) I always thought lugging was bad no matter what, but what Yaris Hilton says makes sense. Either way, I still won't go below a low RPM growl because it just feels wrong!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
advocate

Drives: car
If you shift fast enough you can stay in DFCO and drop the car down in gears.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #21
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildCode View Post
I'm curious about lugging subtopic :) I always thought lugging was bad no matter what, but what Yaris Hilton says makes sense. Either way, I still won't go below a low RPM growl because it just feels wrong!
For best MPG, it makes no sense to let the revs dip below 1200 rpm on a DFCO coast. (the ECU goes out of DFCO and into idle at about 1200) The engine won't lug at 1200 rpm unless you're trying to accelerate up a hill. On flat ground, it won't accelerate QUICKLY from 1200 in 4th or 5th gear, but it WILL do so without lugging. I do it all the time. Smooth, no lugging.

Listen to what the car is telling you. If it's not complaining, it's happy. If it starts bucking, or doesn't have enough grunt to climb the grade you're on... downshift!

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote