Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
buddyjim

Drives: '09 5dr LB Meteorite Metallic
Transmission Question

From what I gather our cars have an aisin-warner u340e (perhaps I'm wrong here) auto trans fitted to them. Does this transmission allow for one to directly interface with it to control the electronic shifts? I ask because I'm curious as to the feasibility of a paddle & bumpshift system for our cars.
buddyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
Bump and paddle shift is an option on the "Top of the line" Yarii in most countries "except for north/south american countries unfortunately.

A lot of other countries also get other cool options like auto climate control and digital gauges and even smart key with push button start (like the prius) and even a gas trip computer that shows active and average MPG. Some countries even offer AWD Yarii. I am not positive, but I think that particular transmission for the Yaris is a CVT (continuously variable transmission) and the bump shift mode is a "simulation" built into the transmissions control porgram that makes it simulate a traditional auto trans with bump shift. The reason I think that is because In some lighting conditions, if I look really closely at the top of my little LCD screen in the gauge cluster (the one that shows mileage, what gear you are in, gas, etc) I can see a little icon that says "CVT Sport Mode" which leads me to believe that it is something that lights up when you switch to bump shift mode on equipped Yarii (maybe someone who actually has a bump shift Yaris can verify). Some more info on this is available on the Yaris page at toyota.co.uk (united kingdom toyota site).

I have been trying to get this stuff since before I even bought my Yaris. The one cool thing I uncovered is this: http://twistmachine.com/shopping/ind...f53f0c0e28e26b and this: http://www.mastershift.com/ these are add ins that supposedly works with any auto transmission that gives you paddle shifters. It is VERY pricey, but if you crave paddle shift like I do, you will want this mod. I think the only way you will ever be able to get the OEM Yaris transmission and steering wheel column that has bump/paddle/manu-matic shift is if you spend thousands and do tons of research on what parts you need. I have been looking through toyota UK parts guide recently and have not been able to find much. It might be easier to find the paddle shifters in Thailand where they have a lot of cool Yaris stuff for dirt cheap (garm gets most of his stuff from Thailand importers I think) but the only problem is, the part references are not in English!

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like for cars and technology the US gets a lot of "watered down" versions of the cool stuff that is in other countries. Even american companies like GM and Ford deliver crap to the US while the other countries get really cool stuff (Ford focus RS FTW). IT IS NOT JUST MY PET PEEVE, IT'S AN ATTROCITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-p01.jpg

04-p01.jpg

cool yaris.jpg

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
markitect

Drives: Yaris
That dash is amazing, why do all car manufacturers keep the cool stuff from us, I know the dollar sucks right now but I would pay extra for that. (Sorry about hijacking your thread)

But if you look at the sticky thread in DIY the factory repair manual seems to agree with you on what the transmission is (and gives a pinout of the selector connector).
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Our Auto is purely mechanical linkage for human shifting. I have the EWD from Europe for the Multi-Mode Transmission, described above. It actually has two actuator motors that are triggered by the +/- bumps.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
computerlove87
The Fit is NO!

Drives: '09 3DR "S"|'87 Caddy Brougham
Send a message via MSN to computerlove87
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Our Auto is purely mechanical linkage for human shifting. I have the EWD from Europe for the Multi-Mode Transmission, described above. It actually has two actuator motors that are triggered by the +/- bumps.
So what you are saying it is not a CVT? It is just our auto trans with a slightly diff shifter sitting on top? Doesn't that mean it would be a fairly simple swap to get the new shifter gate and actuators? What does EWD stand for?

sorry for all the questions, I am really interested in this mod as you can tell by my post. The main reason I am interested is because it is the one feature that almost made me buy a (gasp) fit instead of a Yaris. I don't know if anyone has driven an auto fit, but for me the acceleration seemed almost twice as fast in paddle shift mode rather than regular drive mode.

Also, next up: Automatic Climate control!

Please ignore the Ferrari
computerlove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The Automatic Transmission and the Multimode Manual Transmission are entirely different beasts. "The Yaris's MultiMode gearbox is an electrically-operated manual transmission that uses two electric motors and an electronically-operated clutch to provide either automatic or sequential gear changes."

The CVT is yet an entirely different transmission and I believe it is only offered in Japan.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Yariz
Banned

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The Automatic Transmission and the Multimode Manual Transmission are entirely different beasts. "The Yaris's MultiMode gearbox is an electrically-operated manual transmission that uses two electric motors and an electronically-operated clutch to provide either automatic or sequential gear changes."

The CVT is yet an entirely different transmission and I believe it is only offered in Japan.

So how do I know which I have? 2007 yaris HB.... I would like to put the paddles in that would be awesome. Would you even need the shifter after that? Can yo go into N or P? I am looking for kewl stuff for the tranny.
Yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yariz View Post
So how do I know which I have? 2007 yaris HB.... I would like to put the paddles in that would be awesome. Would you even need the shifter after that? Can yo go into N or P? I am looking for kewl stuff for the tranny.
We only get the boring U340 Automatic Transmission, here in the US.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Yariz
Banned

No it wouldn't work with those paddles? Do you guys know of any other way to adjust the transmission shifting?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Yariz
Banned

Man that sux, so that paddles won't work? Is there anything we can do to the tranny? Like a shift kit, or anything like that?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The AT is controlled by the ECM, so a reprogramming of the ECM or a piggyback would be required.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Yariz
Banned

Where can I get such piggybacks?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

No one makes one at this point, that I am aware of.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
Yariz
Banned

Thought so, so in short we CAN'T manually shift an AT or it will cause problems? USA VERSION
Old 04-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Correct, in short.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote