Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
very often a basement developper that is established and well know will be able to provide a far superior app than that of a company. companies more often than not are simply porting apps from other platforms with crappy coding all the companies care about is quantity over quality. And the Android community is more oriented towards open source than any others.
That is true too, but the very few committed Android developers doing their own thing are far outweighed by the goober that puts of their 30th "Sexy Girls Wallpaper" app.

Totally open source does not work as a mainstream consumer model. (Just look at the adoption rate of Linux OS, it's still and always will be a niche OS for the general consumer) IMO Google needs to have some accountability for applications if they want to position themselves as the next big handset OS, otherwise without the consumer base we won't see nearly as much development on the platform if there's no money to be made.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Like i said before i like the products that i buy with my hard earned money to be Mine and free to do what I want. IMO Apple wants to be everyones nanny , and hold your hand the whole way through. I know some people like that , because its less work for them to think about , but it is my belief that we are just gonna end up dumber and even more lazy. But thats just my take on that
Another rebel, YES!

Apple's iPhone does not have removable battery...i think you can remove it, but it voids out everything. My friend went into get his iPhone 3G repaired and from their systems, they could check when the phone was charged, at what time, and how many times....

Now THAT, is exactly what I dont want frmo my hard earned money. Apple isn't trying to be anyone's nanny Pavel, it's trying to be Big Brother
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
O0pen source doesn't automatically mean no profit. You can have apps that you pay for but also you are free to modify themas long as you dont break the agreement. As for Android market , dont forget its a newborn compared to Apple and there will be an adjustment period, in sure as soon as Chrome OS launches (late summer i believe) they will streamline and provide more stucture to the market. Google likes to jump into things full speed and then adjust.
No, I didn't say that. I just meant that Android needs to stay on top for awhile in order for continued growth and development. No sales mean no apps really. The Palm Pre is a good example. Excellent OS, (Linux based as well FYI, and nearly as open source) but there's hardly any development for it in terms of applications because of lackluster sales.

Keep in mind that Google doesn't make any phones, all Android devices are made by other manufacturers so it's not a good comparison to make regarding battery because HTC (or Samsung, or Motorola) could very well come out with an Android handset that has a non-removeable battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Apple's iPhone does not have removable battery...i think you can remove it, but it voids out everything. My friend went into get his iPhone 3G repaired and from their systems, they could check when the phone was charged, at what time, and how many times....

Now THAT, is exactly what I dont want frmo my hard earned money. Apple isn't trying to be anyone's nanny Pavel, it's trying to be Big Brother
LOL if you're going to use Big Brother as an example you might want to look at Google too, since Google collects far more information (IP address, location, etc) than Apple does.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
I did forget to mention Google and Google Earth...O_O haha. My apologies.

well then...f**k BOTH of them.
I'll have someone hack into NTT Docomo phones and use those, although monthlybilling charges would rape me~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
He's just butt hurt that Android is gaining popularity. I hope Apple plunges back to the deep hole which it came from, it's overrated (imo). I mean really, who wants to pay for something that the company wants you to ONLY do, and nothing more....I'm rebellious and the Android platform seems ideal for me...I will get an Android phone just waiting on a certain application to had in it.

I live in America, my parents came here for freedom...and ideally, I'd like to continue to be here with having that freedom in something I've spend my hard earned money on.

Keep in mind, i admire Apple's sleek simple design as a studying Industrial Designer, but the popularity they gained as a "first in the market" has slowly died down...they need to give someone else the ball to shoot through the hoops~
+1 for Industrial Design!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #24
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
I'll have someone hack into NTT Docomo phones and use those, although monthlybilling charges would rape me~
Well, depending how you do it. You CAN use a DoCoMo phone here in the US. When I was still with a GSM carrier I had a DoCoMo SH906i on Cingular. Just required a HyperSIM, which is a little piece that fits over your SIM and tricks the phone into thinking its on the DoCoMo network.

I haven't looking into it since my phone provider is CDMA, but hopefully it's better than it was in the past. (Nothing works except for phone calls and texting, multimedia was iffy and web never worked. Also sometimes it would lose signal and you'd have to take your SIM out and put it into a domestic handset to get it to require signal, which is nicknamed "CPR" lol)

Anywho, I had just a basic talk and text plan with it through Cingular and worked fine other than being unreliable. lol

Quote:
I agree with you on most points except the one about Google collecting info, yes they can do so but its ultimately up to the user to let them or not. For example the way I have my G1 setup, the only thing that Google knows is what apps I download from the Market. Other stuff like IP, location and IMEI , are kept hidden. I agree that Google's attitude of "You didn't ask so we don't have to tell you" is a bit of a piss off, but I see a positive in this , it forces the users to use their heads and not blindly follow corporations.

As for Google not making the phones , that's exactly their strength, they provide the OS and let the phone companies battle it out. If they can win over phone companies to use Android then Apple is really in big @#!t. And I seriously doubt Motorola or Samsung would ever handicap their phones like Apple did with their sealed design.
It's a moot point really, I just had to point it out since Big Brother was brought up and really Google collects more information than Apple. (Doesn't matter, there's a privacy policy etc that tells you how Google uses that info, same as Apple, and there's nothing in either that mentions snooping on end users)

Motorola and Samsung have made phones in the past with non user-removeable batteries. So it could happen again.