Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Drives: Yaris S Sedan w/ Aero Package!
Need help with Blitz S/C

Hey guys.

My mechanic friend just helped me install my Blitz Supercharger on my 2007 Automatic sedan. Driving it today i am finding some problems...wondering if anyone here can help?

Hmm...so the car now is driveable but got some problems.

1) Once the car is on there is a loud whining noise like wheeeee constantly. It only goes away when I step on the gas.

2) Also the car has died (completely turned off) on me 3 times in the past hour when I'm waiting to make a turn or stopped behind traffic.

3) I got a CEL but need to get the code checked
Terrorize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
1) Sounds belt related. Check it.

2) Possibly an excessively rich mixture condition?

3) Yes

... I feel like I wasn't much help
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Is it making more power than before, or does it still feel the same?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
1) Sounds belt related. Check it.

2) Possibly an excessively rich mixture condition?

3) Yes

... I feel like I wasn't much help
My friends and i think i'm running excessively rich...which is whats shutting down the car....
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Sounds like a vacuum problem to me, but you need to get the code read and then we will know more and can be more help.
My buddy told me the code was cylinder misfire....he pulled out and cleaned the MAF for me too...then cleared the code but it was back 10mins later.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Focus_Sh1ft

If the rich thing is true, then it's likely the wiring is to blame.

Didn't some other people have problems with misfires/pre-detonation on their SCs? Maybe I'm thinking of something else
Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Terrorize
Toyota Newb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Well then I would tend to believe it lies with the wiring of the fuel injectors, but I would make sure all the connections are good and correct. What did you use to make the connections? Solder or wire taps? Another thing that would help out with diagnosis is to set the selector switch to low, put the key in the on position but do not start the car and depress the gas pedal. You should hear the electronic clutch engage and the lights on the selector switch and fuel controller should come on. The clutch engaging is a pretty loud audible click. If you have a buddy with you then have him watch the clutch and light on the fuel controller if not then find a stick or something to depress the accelerator pedal.

If one of these is not occurring then something in the wiring is not right, but if they do come on it could still be a wiring issue but for the stalling I would tend to think it is a vacuum problem.

Another thing to try and post the results would be to turn the selector switch to off, clear the misfire code and drive the car somewhat hard like you still have the sc on. If you do not get misfire or the car does not die at a stop then I would lean toward wiring but if you still get the problem then I would say vacuum leak. Also if you are getting a misfire your cel should blink first and if it keeps detecting misfire it should throw a code. If you only get this in boost I would certainly think wiring.

A couple of more questions, did you buy this kit new? If not is a retrofit from an XB or is it a yaris kit? The wheee sound, is it more like a screeching metal on metal sound, a belt squealing sound or an air sucking sound? Was the misfire code the same cylinder or different cylinders?
First of all thanks to everyone for their suggestions and input!

Hi Camell

1) The kit is brand new from Garm...for the Yaris.
2) The whee sound is like the sound of a whistle...but constant..wheeeeeee....many people have suggested the belt but my buddy says its the right tension..something about the 45 degree/90 degree turn? Also, he said if it was the belt it would squeal all the time regardless..it only squeals when i am idle or cruising - not when gas pedal is depressed.
3) The misfire code was coming from cylinder 1 i believe.
4) The wire connections were soldered and based on the diagrams posted by other members with sucessful installs. It was also supposedly triple checked.
5) When driving with the S/C on low i can see the clutch on LED light up...i can also hear the turbine? spin and the added power. After some time the car would stall (battery light is on and air bag light) or shut off completely (brake pedal is hard). Once i restart the car everything is fine.
6) Today when i got the CEL cleared and when it came back on was when i was driving with the switch set to off. After the stalling i have been driving with the switch set to off. Seems like the car only stalls when i have the S/C on.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
This could be caused by the misfire cel but when mine misfired and the cel triggered it did not go into limp mode and the car drove fine until I went into boost and car went open loop at which point the misfires were occurring.
Yeah I was figuring the car went into limp mode when it saw a misfire, kinda surprised it doesn't tbh.

Quote:
I don't think any member who installed the blitz did not have detonation, but I could be wrong.
Wow, didn't realize it was that common of an issue. How did everyone else solve it then? I know of atleast two people that are using the AEM meth kit...

But that raises the question as to whether or not Terrorize is running the highest octane fuel?