Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #37
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
yeah but... average for me is like 22... sometimes i get 18 -.-.... and im not grandprix'n.... I accelerate normally. You cant take ur sweet time and have like 80 cars behind u being like WTF... Yeah i admit i drive a bit hard but it shouldnt account for so much mpg -.-...... every1 that gets 40+ is like .. either crazy or never goes past 1.5krpm which means they dont ever go past 10mph =D

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #38
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
I'm really surprised that more people aren't getting 40mpg and above. I drive 80 miles round trip to work, on a 2-lane road with lots of curves and hills averaging 60-65 mph (sometimes 70 if I'm running late). I make a few short trips in town every week - a couple miles to the grocery store or my parents' house. I've never tried to drive differently in this car, I just drive the way I normally do. Since my 5000-mile oil change, I've been getting 42 mpg consistently. Prior to that I was getting about 37. I always get at least 460 miles out of a full tank.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #39
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MPGDream View Post
I just wanted to pat myself on the back for not having a tank under 40MPG in the past year
I am 10 days of owning the Yaris for a year. Only once was I over 40mpg. When people say highway driving they need to qualify their speed. The speed limit is 75 where I live. That means that I am doing 80 and only getting 37 mpg on the highway.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #40
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Every time you touch the brake pedal, you're taking kinetic energy that you got by burning gasoline in the engine, and turning it into waste heat. Total loss. As my dad always said, the brake pedal should be labeled "Press Here To Drain Gas Tank." Anytime your engine is idling, you're burning gas at 0 MPG. Real stop-and-go city traffic is horribly inefficient. Nobody's going to get 40 MPG in a Yaris doing that.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #41
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainless twit View Post
I'm really surprised that more people aren't getting 40mpg and above. I drive 80 miles round trip to work, on a 2-lane road with lots of curves and hills averaging 60-65 mph (sometimes 70 if I'm running late). I make a few short trips in town every week - a couple miles to the grocery store or my parents' house. I've never tried to drive differently in this car, I just drive the way I normally do. Since my 5000-mile oil change, I've been getting 42 mpg consistently. Prior to that I was getting about 37. I always get at least 460 miles out of a full tank.
A big part of the reason you're able to easily break the 40mpg barrier with no effort is the length of your commute, which allows your engine to warm up and run at optimal efficiency. From what people with scan gauges have told me, it takes the Yaris about 24km or 15 miles of hwy driving to reach optimal operation temperature. That means you're running your Yaris at optimal temp for about 62% of your commute. According to those numbers I am running our Yaris at optimal temp for about 53% of my commute. The major factor controlling our MPG is the speed we drive, but people driving much shorter distances or city driving, may never have a chance to reach this leaner burn state.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #42
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Every time you touch the brake pedal, you're taking kinetic energy that you got by burning gasoline in the engine, and turning it into waste heat. Total loss. As my dad always said, the brake pedal should be labeled "Press Here To Drain Gas Tank." Anytime your engine is idling, you're burning gas at 0 MPG. Real stop-and-go city traffic is horribly inefficient. Nobody's going to get 40 MPG in a Yaris doing that.
You can do it, but you have to be driving a manual and you have to put a lot of effort into it. There's people out there who can even break 50mpg in cars like ours under conditions like these, but it requires a lot of effort.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #43
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Almost 2 years now - and the worst I have gotten was 41mpg in Seattle traffic.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #44
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
these topics crop up once in a while, good to see other's mileage. mine has diminished a bit. but i also treat my car like ... well just not like it's new. i still average around 34, even during the winter :( which i thought i'd get near 40 with no ac, going 55-60 to work, which id say is rather ideal speed. im not too concerned tho, i can whip around a corner and smile, so maybe its worth it :)
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #45
3dr5speedblk
StickShift

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB
YOW!!

Not really trying, Think i'm doin 35ish, Stlil new 5K on the clock,
I just like to wind it up and roll!This thing rolls nice at 75-80MPH
I think with the warmer weather and good gas I'll hit 40+
4 dollar gas here soon!! Remember when gas was only $4 Bucks a Gallon?!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #46
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripey View Post
50 mpg - awesome! But anything below 40 has to mean you're either doing a stack of town driving or thrashing it to bits on the motorways (sorry, US buddies - freeways!).
always 80mph with the ac on....and i'm doin about 37 average. still pretty good. time is money here so, i think i'm doin ok.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #47
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
If I ever move to a lower altitude without a bunch of steep hills the I'm confident I could get those numbers too.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #48
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
I must be doing something horribly wrong. I have my tires inflated to 41 psi, drive an average of around 58 mph, and the best tank I've gotten is 32.2 mpg. It's pretty depressing, actually. Particularly reading all of the posts from those who get high 30s/low 40s. I still have only around 1,650 miles on my lb auto Yaris, so I don't know if these numbers will stay where they are or improve as the car ages. I'm regretting not getting the sedan. I thought since the lb weighed less, fuel efficiency would be better. I never factored in aerodynamics. Naive on my part. At any rate, hopefully my numbers will improve as time progresses. I'm pretty bummed at this point, but shouldn't be since the fuel efficiency standard is 29/35 for my Yaris. But with all the hardcore high fuel efficiency stories on this site, who wouldn't be depressed if they aren't getting the same?
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote