Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #37
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
I'm not a fan of any law really, but unfortunatly some laws are needed to keep people from doing things that could result in harm to others, like speed limits to keep people like me from driving faster than we really should, or laws agaist DUI or texting to keep people from acting in a way that is demonstated to dramatically, whatever the statistics, increase the likelyhood of them doing harm to others.
hmm... i disagree. on the upside the more i argue with you guys the more bad i feel for texting and driving. i mean, i don't do it all the time but seriously i could not do it at all. and i wouldn't want one of my children to be taken from me due to someone's carelessness in that regard. but ask me if i think my child or any other is any less likely to be harmed because of a law or some silly PSA and my answer is still no. hell the laws we got now hardly curb anything so why would making new ones help? know what i'm saying.

EDIT: but yeah... i'll make an effort not to text and drive anymore.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #38
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
hmm... i disagree. on the upside the more i argue with you guys the more bad i feel for texting and driving. i mean, i don't do it all the time but seriously i could not do it at all.

<snip>

EDIT: but yeah... i'll make an effort not to text and drive anymore.
Cool - it's working.
Not to be an asshole, but - you said "many things in a car require you to look down." So how many things do you have to look down for? During the course of, say, a 30-minute drive.
Myself, the CDwith the mp3's ia always on "random", so I don't have to touch anything but the volume while driving (or if I have to switch I can find the "eject" button and listen to the radio) If you don't know where the gears are, and have to look at the top of the shift knob, then you be driving automatics. If you need to look down to adjust the vent controls, you haven't been driving this car long enough, and it will come.
If you need to scritch places that need scritching, you SHOULD be able to do that without looking
What else ya got that needs looking downn? Even the cup-holders are almost at eye level.
I'm just curious.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #39
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Cool - it's working.
Not to be an asshole, but - you said "many things in a car require you to look down." So how many things do you have to look down for? During the course of, say, a 30-minute drive.
Myself, the CDwith the mp3's ia always on "random", so I don't have to touch anything but the volume while driving (or if I have to switch I can find the "eject" button and listen to the radio) If you don't know where the gears are, and have to look at the top of the shift knob, then you be driving automatics. If you need to look down to adjust the vent controls, you haven't been driving this car long enough, and it will come.
If you need to scritch places that need scritching, you SHOULD be able to do that without looking
What else ya got that needs looking downn? Even the cup-holders are almost at eye level.
I'm just curious.
well... i personally don't have that many things. so you've got me there. i've got a stereo that pulls my attention away from the road way more than any cell phone though. that's about it. and very seldom the A/C controls... sometimes i'm looking down to adjust those. but if just keeping your eyes on the road is your definition of being an attentive driver than i've already mentioned that when i text i don't look at the keys. so it should be ok right? as long as i'm not looking down?

i think what i'm trying to say is people can be willfully distracted by many other things in a vehicle without actually looking away from the road. just cause you are looking doesn't mean you are paying attention.

EDIT: and don't worry, i don't think you are being an asshole
Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 AM   #40
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Laws are pased to "force common sense" all the time.
In case anyone hasn't noiced, there are people all around who seem to lack common sense and absolutly need laws to tell them what to do.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #41
frownonfun

this is an old thread. i know.

just wanted to bring it back to life for a moment to say i think all cellphone use while driving should be illegal. texting, calling, bluetooth earpiece... whatever. whatever it is you are talking about, i'm sure it can wait. and if it is a legitimate emergency i'm sure law enforcement can make a reasonable decision on whether you should be ticketed or not based on the situation. just like when you are speeding in a real emergency. by real i don't mean being late to an interview.

and moreover, we really need to work on changing this cultural mindset that driving in a vehicle is anything less than operating a dangerous piece of equipment. you're navigating a giant hunk of metal (and yes a lot of plastic i know) at a fairly high rate of speed. i don't think we stress enough how dangerous of an act this is. and allowing people to use the phone while driving is not helping to check this romanticized view we have of driving.

basically i was wrong.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?