Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Anyone tried POR-15 to permanently stop rust.

just curious how well this thing works need to use it for fender since i had to grind it... por-15 says it can stop rust permanently... anyone??

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
just curious how well this thing works need to use it for fender since i had to grind it... por-15 says it can stop rust permanently... anyone??
If you go to forums that feature older cars with rust, you will see that practically EVERYONE who is restoring a rusty car uses POR15 unless they are welding in new replacement panels. Whether it is really permanent, I don't know; most restorers use the stuff and then they never really look again to report.

My brother-in-law used it (or something similar) when he restored his 1970 Boss 302 Mustang, but like I said, since he never checks it, I dunno how well it has protected the panel ever since he applied it in 1984. But it is fascinating to watch it turn rusty steel into a hard black crust. I would ask except it was the floor boards and he'd have to take out the interior to check which I don't think he would be willing to do...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

great input steve thanks...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
I used that on the backside of the chrome bumper on my old school mini truck and 10 years later it's the only part of the truck that hasn't rusted.
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

nice....

Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have used it on all my projects and still do. Through the years it's been 10 cars and 6 trucks. Just used it to treat the inside of my Norton Commando fuel tank. Good stuff.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
marcus
toyota

Then we have a go.... Fender meet por-15. Lol

Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
I have used it on all my projects and still do. Through the years it's been 10 cars and 6 trucks. Just used it to treat the inside of my Norton Commando fuel tank. Good stuff.
Any evidence of it flaking off? I used the Kreem system to clean and coat the tank on my FZR600 but I have doubts that the "rubber bladder" coating will last forever. I am especially concerned that somehow the coating will get damaged and the tank will rust again...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I bought a used Miata once bottom of the car sight unseen. When I saw it the rust was mindblowing. Must have been in a flood? I used that stuff on it bit by bit until all was better. I had the car five years and the rust was beaten into submission...
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Any evidence of it flaking off? I used the Kreem system to clean and coat the tank on my FZR600 but I have doubts that the "rubber bladder" coating will last forever. I am especially concerned that somehow the coating will get damaged and the tank will rust again...
None. I can tell you that POR 15 is the tool of choice for tank coatings now that we have to deal with ethanol. Apparently all the other coatings are affected by Ethanol over time. Some quicker than others. With the Norton, those were primarily manufactured with fiberglass tanks then coated. The ethanol is raising havoc with that coating and the fiberglass resins. The rebuild of my Norton constituted the use of a custom built metal tank and the builders pick was and is POR 15 for it and all the others he repairs and/or builds.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
tk1971

Drives: 08 2Dr LB Base, Silver
Used it to line the tank of my 78 GL1000 Goldwing. No flaking and it's constantly in contact with gasoline.
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:22 AM   #12
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
We have a lot of people use gear oil (use) it is thick, it is not. When the sun warms the body and the oil is distributed in all the cracks, such as oily film even on rusty surfaces.
But it's internal processing.
There is one drawback. You can stain your clothes for the first time. But it's not expensive and reliable way. Oil never dries, and will protect the metal from the water.
MickZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I've used it before, but I only had it on the car for 2-3 years, worked well when i got rid of it. No beef at all, definitely recommend it.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote