Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
junior-j

Drives: 2007 yaris
Noob Question...from a noob (sedan related)

I just purchased a yaris 07 sedan. Love what i see on the forums (i.e. customization, car lowering). I did my homework and ordered a set of 17inch wheels, micro image mesh grill, as well as falken tires (205/40-17 Falken Ziex ZE-912). They come in most likely next week or week after. Now, im hearing that if I don't lower my car, the whole setup is going to look weird. I have three questions:

1. If I wanted to lower this car about an inch on all sides, would you recommend "H&R® Sport Lowering Springs"? I heard good things about them

2. Would this negatively affect performance of my ride...in any way?

3. I see some people here mention that they use rear shocks? what in the World are those?
junior-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Don't worry, we will educate you.

You could just put the new wheels on and it might look fine to you. Lowering your car gives it a better look anyway in my opinion, and you have improved handling, braking, and better aerodynamics (which equals better MPG).
So...no, it will not affect your car in a bad way. Unless you have such a big tire and such a drastic drop that they rub so bad that you can't move, but obviously that's an extreme case. Your car would have to have no suspension at all for that.

In other words; yes it will look better lowered, but it depends on your preference.
However, bear in mind that if you get big wheels and tires that will add weight, and the Yaris is pretty underpowered as it is. So depending on how heavy the new wheel and tire combo is, it could bog it down slightly.
It's like giving you new shoes that weight a little bit more, you won't be able to run as fast as easily.

Rear shocks? Do you mean coilovers?
They might be talking about coilovers (which is a different way of lowering) or they be telling you that you need to get upgraded shocks when you lower your car. Yes, it's probably a good idea to get upgraded shocks when you get new springs, as the new springs are stiffer and will cause your stock shocks to wear quicker.

And to answer your first question: I dunno about those. I would do a search in the forums for those kinds of springs.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
junior-j

ok great thanks. And yeah, I think it's coil-overs. I have no idea lol...but I'll stick with springs.

So here is my to-be setup:

4x 17 x 7.5 Haze AR Black offset +45
4x 205/40-17 Falken Ziex ZE-912
H&R SPORT LOWERING SPRINGS/or TRD TRD LOWERING SPRINGS (i want progressive)

Should I anticipate any problems or potential rubbing with these? Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Coilovers are like a step up from springs and shocks. Coilover basically means a coil spring-over-shock design (picture your springs scaled down and combined with your shock absorbers with a little knob that allows you to change how low the car goes), and feature adjustable ride height. Some even allow you to change other settings such as dampening.
They're much more expensive (at least double the cost of springs and shocks) then springs and shocks, and are usually much more firm then shocks and springs, but they also give you a lot more options.

You should be fine with that setup. If you do have any rubbing it will probably be on big potholes, or if you for some reason decide to fill your car up with bags of cement.
Really though, you should be fine. Just enjoy it.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
eibach prokits are the only springs that will offer a 1" drop without sagging extra low on the rear of a sedan (which is heavier than the hatchback, for obvious reasons)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
junior-j

I went ahead with the eibach prokits. Really appreciate you guys' help. Thanks!