Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Bent OEM rim

I hit a curb I didn't see tonight pulling into a parking lot. Bent the hell out of the rim. Has anybody tried hammering the wheel back??
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
it won't be straight ever again, especially not if you hammer it. Does it still hold air?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
bankrobber

As soon as I stopped I saw the bent rim and put in the spare. It still has air but I think when the weight of the car was on it it was losing air. The lip is bent down almost touching the steel and the inner raised part of the wheel is bent. I can probably bend the lip back but if you look below the lip it has a raised section that is bent also. I am in North Florida with very few tire shops. Since it still holds air when not on the car I hope a shop can fix it for not too much. Also the tire seems to have a bulge but not sure it it is because the way the rim is bent in it might be pulling at the tire. I had my wheels angled so it hit right front right on an angle not straight on.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
find a new oem rim, that rim is toast, once you stretch/twist/etc metal its never the same again, if the tire has a bulge in the sidewall you might have damaged the tire as well, try the tire on the new rim, if it still has the bulge go buy a new tire cuz that tire is toast as well.
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
bankrobber

got a guy at Walmart to hammer it back for free. The tire got a bulge gonna probably get a new tire soon but going to go take it for a test run
Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
i wouldnt drive on that if you paid me.. but thats just me.. just dont come back and say you wrecked the car cuz the rim cracked/broke or the tire blew out

and also bent rims can tear the tire from the inside, improper balancing can cause the bead in the tire to break and itll last 500 miles before you have to buy a new tire again.
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
you should be able to score a set of oem rims for $100 or less. Much better than trying to drive with a bent rim, especially one bent on the insane curbstones in florida.

I bent two wheels that way. full right angles in the wheels, not fun.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
got a guy at Walmart to hammer it back for free. The tire got a bulge gonna probably get a new tire soon but going to go take it for a test run
It may look fine but aluminium alloy work hardens and there will be internal cracks which mean weakness. The question is what price do you put on your neck? I can only advise, buy a new wheel, they are very cheap when compared to a broken neck!

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Decades ago, we used to straighten rims, but that was decades ago; I wouldn't try it now, with wheel and tire technology being what it has become... Like Geoff says, save a buck, bust your neck!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
bankrobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sedan View Post
i wouldnt drive on that if you paid me.. but thats just me.. just dont come back and say you wrecked the car cuz the rim cracked/broke or the tire blew out

and also bent rims can tear the tire from the inside, improper balancing can cause the bead in the tire to break and itll last 500 miles before you have to buy a new tire again.
Lol, I didn't really want to drive on that rim but I was not able to find anybody that had one in stock. I had to order one from a Toyota dealer and that took 3 days. I now have a new OEM rim and tire.