Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #37
swede

Drives: 07 SDN
Has anybody tried the electronic protection systems they have out now that are a few hundred bucks? Whether you or someone you know has tried them and has any feedback?

I don't know how they work and have only heard mixed reviews
Old 12-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #38
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
My buddy swears by the electronic system. He had one on his Volvo P1800 (not ideal, as he pampered that car, seldom drove it in the rain, never in the snow), and another in his 94 Plymouth Van. That thing is very clean example, so something must be helping...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #39
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
Has anybody tried the electronic protection systems they have out now that are a few hundred bucks? Whether you or someone you know has tried them and has any feedback?

I don't know how they work and have only heard mixed reviews
theyre a waste of money

you're better off just spending the money and getting the car "oil" sprayed annually....krown rustproofing works
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #40
Strider199

Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
Nice thread,
I had a 1999.5 Golf TDi which was in great shape except for the front fenders. They started to rust from inside due to some insulation that would get wet and stay that way. When I took the inside plastic fender well off you would not believe the amount of sand and dirt stuck in there. I bet is was at least a pound per side.
Glad to hear these Yaris's are pretty rust free. There is nothing like a rusty fender to get one upset.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #41
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Sorry to bump this thread but I wanted to report on my car ...

I noticed some surface rust under the rocker panels (my car doesn't have the plastic piece to protect it) and also in the "lip" infront of the rear tires. It looks like just surface for now so I'm going to use solvent/sand/prime and use that truck bed liner stuff that CTScott used to coat the wheel wells to prevent that from happening.

It makes me cry a little inside to see that disease on a car that runs great.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #42
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Sorry to bump this thread but I wanted to report on my car ...

I noticed some surface rust under the rocker panels (my car doesn't have the plastic piece to protect it) and also in the "lip" infront of the rear tires. It looks like just surface for now so I'm going to use solvent/sand/prime and use that truck bed liner stuff that CTScott used to coat the wheel wells to prevent that from happening.

It makes me cry a little inside to see that disease on a car that runs great.
Reports like this are exactly what I (we?) are looking for. So we can keep an eye on the trouble spots and deal with them early, or prevent them from happening. Thanks, and sorry for your rust.

Be careful with the bedliner. Most bedliners/gravel-guards are not rust inhibitors. Once the moisture gets in behind it gets ugly very fast. I think you are best off cleaning the rusty areas, priming, and painting with rust preventive materials. Then coating the areas with the oil/grease/wax of your choice as was mentioned.

I had a 1980 camaro which were known to rust badly. When I removed the subframe to paint it, I realized it must have had an oil leak from day one. 25yrs later, the bare steel subframe was spotless and shiny in the area under the oil sludge. Not even a weeks worth of surface rust on it. Just shows how well oil works.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #43
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
btw, those lips in front of the rear wheels have drains. Make sure they are still open, however you seal it.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #44
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Reports like this are exactly what I (we?) are looking for. So we can keep an eye on the trouble spots and deal with them early, or prevent them from happening. Thanks, and sorry for your rust.

Be careful with the bedliner. Most bedliners/gravel-guards are not rust inhibitors. Once the moisture gets in behind it gets ugly very fast. I think you are best off cleaning the rusty areas, priming, and painting with rust preventive materials. Then coating the areas with the oil/grease/wax of your choice as was mentioned.

I had a 1980 camaro which were known to rust badly. When I removed the subframe to paint it, I realized it must have had an oil leak from day one. 25yrs later, the bare steel subframe was spotless and shiny in the area under the oil sludge. Not even a weeks worth of surface rust on it. Just shows how well oil works.
After checking my car out the other day, the main spots I am now worried about are the wheel wells where the plastic bumper covers meet the quarter panels - I've noticed on all 4 sides the paint as chipped off and is starting to rust underneath

Seeing this just makes me want to get rid of this car lol
Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #45
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
that is just nuts, this car is way too young to have any rust. what is this, the 1970's?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #46
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
that is just nuts, this car is way too young to have any rust. what is this, the 1970's?
Yeah I totally agree. I've seen SATURNS driving around older than my car that are free of rust.

EDIT: Last night I got fed up and ordered a paint touch up kit. Time to sand, prime, paint then clear coat. Hopefully I do a good job lol

Last edited by devinlamothe; 04-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #47
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Gee, the 70s? I clearly remember Generous Motors products that dropped parts on the road in less than 4 years, and from the 50s that lost headlights to corrosion in less than 2.

The new coating systems on most cars allow them to issue guarantees against corrosion up to 7 years. How good can it get? And we are worried about chips corroding in 4 years?

The neighbour has a Model A with steel fenders that show very little corrosion, surface rust only. You do not, however, want to hit anything with it...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote