Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
OK, who is going to be the first to try this.............

Ok, who is going to try this first?

Here

My question is where would we put the battery/batteries?

cheers
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
Ok, who is going to try this first?

Here

My question is where would we put the battery/batteries?

cheers
I've been following their development. The LiIon pack goes in the trunk of the car. In the case of the Yaris LB, it would probably fit in place of the trays next to the spare.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
NEexpat

Really Scott, that small.

That would be great. I guess I still remember the evolution of the cell phone, starting with the handset attached to the portable sewing machine, then to the VHS cassette with the antenna on it etc, etc.

Years ago when I lived in SE Asia, playing golf with some Motorola guys in Singapore and they said we have the technology to put a cell phone on your wrist today, problem is you have to wear the battery on your back.

I'd consider this, I don't see much of a mechanical irreversable downside to this.

cheers

*Or is it - irreversable mechanical downside

Last edited by NEexpat; 09-06-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Very cool. If the first of it's kind can come out at $3000 then other companies will rush to give consumers other options and drive the cost down. Hopefully the group has patented the necessary tech so they can license it to big manufacturers and still get the money they deserve.

These efficient brushless motors are coming a long way. If only we could produce much more efficient batteries.
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
NEexpat

I recall reading about a company here in Mass. that was doing all kinds of interesting breakthrough stuff with LiIon battery technology. That was a couple of years ago, then they seemed to go quiet.

The company was A123 Systems. Scott probably knows more about them than I do.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
i just read this article myself, i would consider doing it to my yaris
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
A123 was just delisted fron NASDAQ. The major problem with technology is the thought that companies need to pay off their investment with high initial prices. This model is best shown in the pharmaceutical world but electronic innovation is guilty of it as well. The reason why the Japanese whipped us in the 80s and the Chinese are whipping us now is they flood the market at low prices and still recoup their engineering (unless it's stolen from US companies) due to volume. I hope the $3000 price is feasable because that's waaay cheaper than the premium on a Prius or other Hybrid versions. The volume (if marketed through dealerships as well as AutoZone/Napa/Etc) would be huge. Better yet, allow the dealership to finance it into the note on a car if installed by the dealership. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
Really Scott, that small.

That would be great. I guess I still remember the evolution of the cell phone, starting with the handset attached to the portable sewing machine, then to the VHS cassette with the antenna on it etc, etc.

Years ago when I lived in SE Asia, playing golf with some Motorola guys in Singapore and they said we have the technology to put a cell phone on your wrist today, problem is you have to wear the battery on your back.

I'd consider this, I don't see much of a mechanical irreversable downside to this.

cheers

*Or is it - irreversable mechanical downside
Yeah, and it sounds as if it would be a fairly safe idea as well. Someone here on Yarisworld, or in comments to a YouTube post, put up a link promoting a company in Arizona. This company built a battery operated pickup truck using multiple standard car batteries. They mounted the batteries under the bed and put a lift on the bed to open up the 'bay' where the batteries are located. The site or direct YouTube link included a video that illustrated the execution of the idea. My first thought was that this execution would lead to a very negative result if the truck was ever involved in an accident.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Here's an electric pickup by Phoenix Motor Cars . Don't hear or see much about this company . Why ? . Their site is , http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/index.php . Very sharp lookin' .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Here are more pics of the exterior and interior . http://green.autoblog.com/photos/afv...#photo-200556/ .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
3000 dollars is cheap compared to full electric conversions. I love the idea of the turning the hub/wheel assembly into a motor. I just need something for the under 20 mph situations like rush hour traffic, I can do the rest with hypermiling!

I'm normally never the guy to be the first to get any new tech (first adopter) but if it's made available, I'll do my darndest to get this bolt on hybrid.