Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
Dadams

Drives: '09 yaris hatchback
I know this thread died but I deliver pizza as well. at pizza hut we get a 1.25 per delivery we take towards our mileage. on a really good night I take 10 if not 15 deliveries. putting into account that right now at current gas prices (not sure how it is in your neck of the woods but in Texas its 3.13 where I live.) It costs approximately 30 dollars give or take to fill it from empty. Now starting at a full tank and taking 10-15 deliveries I usually only use a quarter of my tank if that. Now having 15 or so dollars towards my gas I go to top my tank off and it only comes to seven or so dollars. So in theory just by driving a yaris I've increased my daily income due to its amazing gas mileage. Of course this will vary from person to person based on corporate policies. But in any-case what I guess I'm trying to say is just by driving a yaris you are already saving money. I used to deliver in my Grand Prix GTS which was a V6 supercharged, dont ever do that I went through gas like it was no bodies business :P
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
I know this thread died but I deliver pizza as well. at pizza hut we get a 1.25 per delivery we take towards our mileage. on a really good night I take 10 if not 15 deliveries. putting into account that right now at current gas prices (not sure how it is in your neck of the woods but in Texas its 3.13 where I live.) It costs approximately 30 dollars give or take to fill it from empty. Now starting at a full tank and taking 10-15 deliveries I usually only use a quarter of my tank if that. Now having 15 or so dollars towards my gas I go to top my tank off and it only comes to seven or so dollars. So in theory just by driving a yaris I've increased my daily income due to its amazing gas mileage. Of course this will vary from person to person based on corporate policies. But in any-case what I guess I'm trying to say is just by driving a yaris you are already saving money. I used to deliver in my Grand Prix GTS which was a V6 supercharged, dont ever do that I went through gas like it was no bodies business :P
Ummm, well, I guess when you're young and money in your pocket "right now" is important then you're right. But you need to calculate all your costs to see if you're really coming out ahead in the long run. Such as maintenance, insurance, interest on loan, and depreciation. This is how the IRS calculates the cost/mile for tax purposes (which is what your Pizza Hut is probably using).

OTOH, off hand, I would say that because the Yaris is so cheap, cheap to insure, and gets above average gas mileage, you probably are coming out ahead.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #21
Dadams

yeah I do pay my insurance and my car payments but I got super lucky and got 2.9% financing on my car. And maintenance? on a yaris its almost non-existent haha. I was just saying in my scenario I end up making money off my car because I never use all of my mileage money. In any case none of thats important because the yaris is awesome all the way around. case closed :P haha
Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
I used to delver pizzas back in the day, and I think you are forgetting to include a number of other factors in your cost calculations. The cost of oil replacement, insurance, tires wear, wipers, window washer fluid, and the most important cost....deprecation of the car that your usage is causing. You are putting more miles on your car than you would in another non delivery type job.

I doubt you will be doing this job long. Most delivery jobs don't last long but if so, put some money away for vehicle replacement because you eventually have to replace the car.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #23
Dadams

+1

well put
Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
The Sin

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I delivered for the past 5 years with a yaris. I would usually get around 30-32mpg on average. Most was in-town driving, lots of stop-n-go's. Now I'm a courier for a medical company, so I'm doing mostly highway miles. I'm getting 40-44mpg, and make much better money.
The Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
wizzle

Drives: 07 toyota yaris
i know its long dead

but that car topper killed me i was averaging 39.5 mpg doing about 400 miles delivering a week i put that car topper on and this last month its dropped to 37.4 mpg if you can get away with out wearing your car topper do it it acts like an air brake and just drags your car.

love the yaris for delivery had 4 jobs delivering with this car and love the money i save over other employees
wizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #26
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzle View Post
love the yaris for delivery had 4 jobs delivering with this car and love the money i save over other employees
Totally unrelated but I know a guy who delivers pizza in a Tundra!
Old 11-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
Totally unrelated but I know a guy who delivers pizza in a Tundra!
Got to be serving remote rough terrain and charging up the wazoo for delivery OR someone else is paying for the gas .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #28
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012 SE
i didnt realize how many people drive their yaris to deliver pizza. looks like im not the only one lol.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #29
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeelo View Post
i didnt realize how many people drive their yaris to deliver pizza. looks like im not the only one lol.
It's the fleet vehicle of choice for any place that their own company vehicles for delivery.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #30
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Dont forget to deduct 55.5 cents per mile on your tax returns!!