Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
After my engine broke in, and after 3,000 miles I changed the oil using Mobile1 full-synthetic 5W30, with the EP type (Extended Performance). This oil is rated for 15,000 miles, but I'll change it again at 10,000 miles.

When running full synthetic, and especially the EP type, no need to change before 10,000 miles, and to do so is just wasting time and money.

Just because one never redlines the Yaris, or drives it hard is no reason to think Synthetic will not give great benefits.

The benefits of running full synthetic EP are:

(1) Less Frequent oil changes.
(2) Better engine protection.
(3) Longer engine life.
(4) Saves money.
(5) Better gas milage.

These days the changing every 3,000 is no longer applicable, and to change the oil before 5,000 or 7,500 miles is foolish and a waste of money, giving a false sense of security.

Another mistake people make is to judge the effectiveness of their oil by the color...this is very misleading and will lead to too frequent changes, and a waste of money. So get past the dark color of your oil, and trust it to last 7,500, or 10,000 miles.

For me, I change the oil filter and oil every 10,000 miles but I use Mobile1 Full Synthetic EP (Extended Performance) which is good for 15,000 (so it says on the label).

Of course if one drives in very demanding situations, then one needs to change the oil more frequently, so your situation must come into the equation. I will add that if one's Yaris is not garaged at night, water condensation can show up in the crank case, making the oil vulnerable to "geling" or sledge, so if your car is not garaged at night, then this might necessitate more frequent oil changes.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
After my engine broke in, and after 3,000 miles I changed the oil using Mobile1 full-synthetic 5W30, with the EP type (Extended Performance). This oil is rated for 15,000 miles, but I'll change it again at 10,000 miles.

When running full synthetic, and especially the EP type, no need to change before 10,000 miles, and to do so is just wasting time and money.

Just because one never redlines the Yaris, or drives it hard is no reason to think Synthetic will not give great benefits.

The benefits of running full synthetic EP are:

(1) Less Frequent oil changes.
(2) Better engine protection.
(3) Longer engine life.
(4) Saves money.
(5) Better gas milage.

These days the changing every 3,000 is no longer applicable, and to change the oil before 5,000 or 7,500 miles is foolish and a waste of money, giving a false sense of security.

Another mistake people make is to judge the effectiveness of their oil by the color...this is very misleading and will lead to too frequent changes, and a waste of money. So get past the dark color of your oil, and trust it to last 7,500, or 10,000 miles.

For me, I change the oil filter and oil every 10,000 miles but I use Mobile1 Full Synthetic EP (Extended Performance) which is good for 15,000 (so it says on the label).

Of course if one drives in very demanding situations, then one needs to change the oil more frequently, so your situation must come into the equation. I will add that if one's Yaris is not garaged at night, water condensation can show up in the crank case, making the oil vulnerable to "geling" or sledge, so if your car is not garaged at night, then this might necessitate more frequent oil changes.
yeah, i thought/heard that synthetic oil adds mpg. oh, and my Yaris will soon be back in the garage after i hack away at a couple of couches and mattresses that's taking up space in my garage!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote