Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
HID conversion kit help

Hey guys,

so I've decided to not get the angel eyes full headlight assembly due to its lack of brightness.

Instead I am looking to convert my headlights to HID's with hi/low beam and paint the interior shroud black for appearance. I am hoping to use projectors that come as close to plug and play as possible. I don't mind doing some extra work, but the closest to plug and play the better even if it means a bit more money to do so.

I am so far looking at diode dynamics http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/2...conversion-kit

does anyone have any experience using this kit? Or does anyone have a kit that they can recommend that fits my above criteria?

I appreciate the help
Old 09-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
I would go with TRS

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid...K#.Ve87ZRFVhBc

Here's the link to my retrofit

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53241

when using HIDs, I would strongly recommend projectors, unless your hid bulb has a light shield which would be ok in the reflector housing.
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
tmontague

thanks for the info. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Someone who's used/installed the lights and knows more about them.

Electrical is where I fall short, I haven't done really any electrical on cars in the past and I'm new to the whole HID/Projector thing.

I am painting the reflector and shroud a semi gloss black, would that change the choice of hid vs projectors? I'm not familiar with the difference between them
Old 09-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
tmontague

can you let me know what projectors and HID's you when with? I'm having an issue finding what fits for the Yaris. I noticed you have H1 bulbs but didn't use the H1 projector and the link you sent me is for an H4 bulb
Old 09-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
ucsmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
can you let me know what projectors and HID's you when with? I'm having an issue finding what fits for the Yaris. I noticed you have H1 bulbs but didn't use the H1 projector and the link you sent me is for an H4 bulb
Hey,

I did the morimoto H1 projector retrofit so it uses H1 hid bulbs, however my 2012 yaris system stock is H4, so I had to buy the Motocontrol H4 relay so that my DRL, low beam and high beam would function properly.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.Ve9NxBFVhBc

It really depends which projector system you want to go with. H1 mini is the most popular one and fitment was dead on, I didn't have to cut headlights or make any significant adjustments.

Once you figure out the projector kit you want, you just buy the correct bulb size and the proper ballasts and cables needed according to your projector kit.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
ucsmfu

this would actually fit your sedan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCFL-PROJECT...ead833&vxp=mtr

It comes already with projectors, led drl, and angel eyes.

all you have to buy is an H7 Hid kit (h7 hid bulb (low), ballasts, and the required harness)
Old 09-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
tmontague

I like the ebay ones but i'm afraid buying all the extra stuff is above my head in terms of the ballasts and the correct harness.

I'd like to go with the H4 from TRS as that is what fits the yaris and I comes with all of the other hardware. I just can't seem to find on their website what projectors will fit an H4 bulb, and will those projectors fit in the lens on a sedan?

This way I can just splice into the wire there and not have to worry about another relay. Seems simpler
Old 09-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
^^ Just a note on those pre-made projector-type headlights. They look cool but light output is almost always very poor - sometimes worse than OEM. You'll be disappointed.
Being that you have a sedan, the housing is a bit smaller than liftback. The Mini H1 looks to be the easiest set up as ucsmfu stated. If you're pretty good at DIY, then using a spare set of OEM headlights, open them up and add in the projectors, you'll be surprised at the difference.

Here is a link from Sevenism at HIDPlanet with all the parts he used for a Yaris. It was for a Liftback, but same concept.

From his parts list, you'll probably just need

x2 Morimoto Mini H1 6.0
x2 shroud for Mini H1
x2 TRS xbaLED 90mm white
x2 TRS Rubber Housing Caps
x1 Motocontrol H4 bi-xenon relay harness
x1 Universal HID relay harness
x2 HID H1 bulb
x2 ballast

Some other examples sedan1 sedan2 sedan3

Last edited by yarisugi; 09-08-2015 at 06:06 PM.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
tmontague

I'd. Like to do exactly what you posted with the halo's as well. He mentioned that he added a connector to the halo wires for true plug and play, was this listed in the parts needed?

It would be great if I could have a full parts list to what he used so I can purchase everything that I need, including any quick connectors to splice if need be. I don't want to start this and then have to wait to order parts n the mail that I didn't think I needed.

If anyone who has done this can give me a list of the smaller stuff they needed such as quick connectors that would be great!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
tmontague

hey ucsmfu:

Can you let me know a complete list of parts you needed (did you need to do any splicing?) i'm going to do what you did but add halos to it. I'm just trying to figure out how the halos connect to the drl switch...
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I still sell retrofit kits...$125usd to your door
www.Facebook.com/Kitchenerhid